Increase in thick urates

Jude2000

Location (City and/or State)
Oxfordshire
Hi. I have a beautiful 8yr old Russian tortoise. Very healthy, active and eating really well, but over the last 3 weeks she has been passing a lot of very thick urates both in her enclosure and her bath. Am I giving her too much calcium powder and is it a problem I need to address ? I would appreciate some advice if possible. Thank you .

Attachments

• 20211023_120330.jpg
    20211023_120330.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 13

Jude2000

Oxfordshire
Thank you for your reply. She has calcium powder sprinkled on her food 2/3 times a week and I soak her every 3 days for 30mins. I've not changed this so I'm just surprised to see a big change in her urates. She dies have cuttlefish but has never even looked at it !

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi. I have a beautiful 8yr old Russian tortoise. Very healthy, active and eating really well, but over the last 3 weeks she has been passing a lot of very thick urates both in her enclosure and her bath. Am I giving her too much calcium powder and is it a problem I need to address ? I would appreciate some advice if possible. Thank you .
Urates aren’t caused by calcium intake. They’re produced as a result of protein digestion. Your tortoise must be eating more protein recently to be suddenly producing more urates. If nothing has changed in your tortoises diet, then it’s a sign that your tortoise is f hydrated enough. Are the urates smooth and silky or do you feel any grittiness? Keep your tortoise well hydrated and take a look at the diet you’re feeding.

Here is an excellent care sheet Incase you haven’t already seen it. It was created by one of our most talented members. There’s a section on diet in here too that you may find helpful.

Jude2000

Oxfordshire
Urates aren’t caused by calcium intake. They’re produced as a result of protein digestion. Your tortoise must be eating more protein recently to be suddenly producing more urates. If nothing has changed in your tortoises diet, then it’s a sign that your tortoise is f hydrated enough. Are the urates smooth and silky or do you feel any grittiness? Keep your tortoise well hydrated and take a look at the diet you’re feeding.

Here is an excellent care sheet Incase you haven’t already seen it. It was created by one of our most talented members. There’s a section on diet in here too that you may find helpful.

Thank you. The urates are smooth and slimey. Not gritty. I will definitely soak her more often and review her diet and see if I can help her.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you. The urates are smooth and slimey. Not gritty. I will definitely soak her more often and review her diet and see if I can help her.
That’s good that they’re smooth, it means there’s no immediate cause for concern. It’s ok to see some urates, but since you’re noticing a pretty big increase, minor adjustments like lowering the protein in her diet and maybe soaking every couple of days for the next while should help a great deal. ?

Jude2000

Oxfordshire
That’s good that they’re smooth, it means there’s no immediate cause for concern. It’s ok to see some urates, but since you’re noticing a pretty big increase, minor adjustments like lowering the protein in her diet and maybe soaking every couple of days for the next while should help a great deal. ?
That's a relief ?. Thank you so much for your advice ?