Impressed Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I received Jesse Lowe a manouria impressa tortoise last Oct, It has been an educational year, She is very laid back and easy going.not real active, spends most of the time in a hide, When she does come out it is to eat or drink.She has started hiding under some of the soft deadwood that is in the enclosure,that is also where all the little critters that she eats hide.There is pothos growing in the enclosure that she eats on, just the leaves not the stem part.She doesn't eat what I offer everyday but I put fresh food in daily,if nothing else the bugs and slugs appreciate it,they are thriving. The pics are from last Oct a few days after I got her, first week of Aug this year and a few days ago when she was checking out her new hide, she is growing and having a problem turning around in her old one,which I left in just added the new one. Len --------the pics are not in the order i put them in they are backwards ----

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is a pretty cool looking tortoise. I have to be honest, I've never heard of or seen an Impressed Tortoise before. Are they difficult to keep? You said that you have slugs & bugs in the enclosure, so I'm assuming that they're omnivores? I really like the looks of them... Really nice! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like that middle picture. What is it all over her mouth?

Len B

10 Year Member!
I like the Mee and Mep,and have raised them since 1996,so I figured I would try an Impressed, there is not a lot of information on them, but enough for me to believe they would not be to hard, So far, no problems.There are only a few breeders in the USA,but each year there are more available for the people that want them at what I consider a reasonable price.The suggested main diet is mushrooms and pothos, I offer many different things to see what it likes and will eat, A couple favorites of hers are baked sweet potato and hard boiled eggs, especially the yoke which is all over her face in the middle pic.These are the two things I use (by mixing) to get her to eat different things.I don't know about all impressed tortoises but she eats bugs,slugs,and fungus, that grow in her enclosure.They also don't like hot temps and don't get large. --almost the perfect house tortoise-- Len

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am impressed with this tortoise.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wow, Len. They sound very interesting! I wonder how hardy they are, say compared to Russians? What is the cost of an Impressed?? Do you know what country they are native to??

??Len?? said:
I like the Mee and Mep,and have raised them since 1996,so I figured I would try an Impressed, there is not a lot of information on them, but enough for me to believe they would not be to hard, So far, no problems.There are only a few breeders in the USA,but each year there are more available for the people that want them at what I consider a reasonable price.The suggested main diet is mushrooms and pothos, I offer many different things to see what it likes and will eat, A couple favorites of hers are baked sweet potato and hard boiled eggs, especially the yoke which is all over her face in the middle pic.These are the two things I use (by mixing) to get her to eat different things.I don't know about all impressed tortoises but she eats bugs,slugs,and fungus, that grow in her enclosure.They also don't like hot temps and don't get large. --almost the perfect house tortoise-- Len

B

byerssusan

Really cool tort..I am no expert by far LOL...But should there be an electrical wire in the enclosure? Thats what it looks like in the 2nd pic. I would think they might tend to chew or bite it. And if this was a stupid question don't mind me I am soso new to the tortoise world..LOl..Just curious here

Len B

10 Year Member!
AnthonyC said:
Wow, Len. They sound very interesting! I wonder how hardy they are, say compared to Russians? What is the cost of an Impressed?? Do you know what country they are native to??

??Len?? said:
They are considered fragile because almost all the imports die,but there has been good success with the captive born,I see them anywhere from$600 to $1000.They are from the same mountain areas of Asia as the Mee and Mep, but with a more restricted range.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Gotcha! Thank you, Len! :)

??Len?? said:
AnthonyC said:

??Len?? said:
They are considered fragile because almost all the imports die,but there has been good success with the captive born,I see them anywhere from$600 to $1000.They are from the same mountain areas of Asia as the Mee and Mep, but with a more restricted range.

Len B

10 Year Member!
byerssusan said:
Really cool tort..I am no expert by far LOL...But should there be an electrical wire in the enclosure? Thats what it looks like in the 2nd pic. I would think they might tend to chew or bite it. And if this was a stupid question don't mind me I am soso new to the tortoise world..LOl..Just curious here
Good Question, When I first set the enclosure up, not knowing if this tortoise would want or need underground heat, I put a buried heat source away from the hide, She never went to that area to warm up, So it is not on,just never took it out. she pays no attention to the wire.

wildak

5 Year Member
They are one of my favorites for sure. I now have a 3.4 group with 3 bloodlines . One pair is from a breeding loan from TSA . I really hope to help improve thier numbers in the wild and the US.
Pumpkin is one of the all time favs. and it's that time of year again. Mine tend to turn completely orange this time of year from being covered in it.
Drop me a PM sometime to trade notes.

Bryan

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wildak said:
They are one of my favorites for sure. I now have a 3.4 group with 3 bloodlines . One pair is from a breeding loan from TSA . I really hope to help improve thier numbers in the wild and the US.
Pumpkin is one of the all time favs. and it's that time of year again. Mine tend to turn completely orange this time of year from being covered in it.
Drop me a PM sometime to trade notes.

Bryan

Bryan, have you been successful with your breeding loan? I am interested in if TSA is re-introducing the captive bred animals to the wild. If so, is it in their native habitat?

wildak

5 Year Member
Don't mean to be a thread thief..

I just received the pair on loan and they are a bit small still I think. Hopefully in a year or two they will start producing. The rest of my group are from 08-09 but growing very fast.
I don't think anyone is putting captive bred Impressa back in the wild yet, just illegal siezures are sometimes going back to the wild. In the US AZA is starting a studbook, probably since the captive numbers are still low and there's a good chance to keep track of bloodlines. Right now I only know of 4 breeding groups.

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
Very nice tortoise. if i may ask were did you get it.

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
Thanks and i just checked them out WOW i dont think i will be getting an impressed tortoise anytime soon after seeing the price. the wife would kill me lol

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Nice photos Len.
What is the average full grown length of this tort?
I just purchased a couple of year old Mees in October .
Never heard of an impressed B4.
My mees never get under the heat emmiter,
The prefer laying in their water dish on the cool end all day long.
I had a half log hide in my 40 breeder tank but they never went in it .
They just climbed on top of it.
They are definatly different than my 4 red-foots .
Keep us updated ,
Mike D.

Status
Not open for further replies.