Impressed Tortoise !

PhongTrang

Hello guys. Im new member and I have a Impressed Tortoise
i had experience with some kind tortoise. But this is the first time i keep an impressed tortoise. it's very beautiful tortoise ^^
And the information about Impressed Tortoise is very few.
So anyone know plz help me !!!
Thank you.

IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've never kept this species, and know nothing about their care, however, my advice would be for you to set it up in a habitat that mimics where the tortoise lives naturally. I would imagine he needs a LARGE, well planted and humid area, with places to hide and places to sit in the water.

I think @Will may know a bit about this species.

mrscruffy

Hi Phong,

It looks like a juvenile, so it will get bigger. Yvonne is right about a good size enclosure. Can we see a picture of her back (male or female)? What part of Vietnam is it from? A Vietnamese friend visited and he said that in central Vietnam (where he was from), the impressa was called the "the three tail tortoise". I presume because of the male's spikes.

Cheers
Scruffy

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Phong,

It looks like a juvenile, so it will get bigger. Yvonne is right about a good size enclosure. Can we see a picture of her back (male or female)? What part of Vietnam is it from? A Vietnamese friend visited and he said that in central Vietnam (where he was from), the impressa was called the "the three tail tortoise". I presume because of the male's spikes.

Cheers
Scruffy
Where do you get "Vietnam" from the thread so far?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am very impressed.
Hi, PhongTrang, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You have a very lovely tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That was a surprise of some kind. But at the same time I've read that tortoises in genral are very curious animals.

And a very warm welcome to he forum!

PhongTrang

Hello. Thank you guys
I live in HaNoi, the north of Vietnam
I want to make an enclosure like native for my tortoise, will soon
My tortoise eats mushroom, it eat like a machine, but it didnt defecation and i worry about that. And i know Impressed Tortoise is one of the difficult tortoise to keep
I also keeping a baby Alligator Snapping Turtle. Very cute
My english not good, hope you can understand.
Thank you. Have a nice day !

IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

PhongTrang

Hi Phong,

Cheers
Scruffy
Yes, in some places it called "3 tail tortoise" because in the back, it has 2 ramie and 1 tail, so people call it is "3 tail tortoise" ^^
i dont know where it from. Because i bought in the market and the saler only know its a tortoise. I guess it from the middle or south of Vietnam
i think my tortoise is female one, cause it have a small tortoise
i will show you the picture later

Last edited:

mrscruffy

Yes, in some places it called "3 tail tortoise" because in the back, it has 2 ramie and 1 tail, so people call it is "3 tail tortoise" ^^
i dont know where it from. Because i bought in the market and the saler only know its a tortoise. I guess it from the middle or south of Vietnam

Nice to meet you Phong.

I have spent sometime in Hanoi and really enjoyed it. I believe Impressa are native to the North of Vietnam and Central Vietnam. My friend, who is in his 30s, said that when he was young Impressa were a common site at the local markets, but that it had been years since he saw one until he saw mine.

My Impressa sometimes take a week to defecate. If you tortoise has been in the bad condition of the market, it might take a little while to get her digestion system sorted out. It is good that she is eating.

Your English is effective.
Cheers
Scruff

PhongTrang

Nice to meet you Phong.

I have spent sometime in Hanoi and really enjoyed it. I believe Impressa are native to the North of Vietnam and Central Vietnam. My friend, who is in his 30s, said that when he was young Impressa were a common site at the local markets, but that it had been years since he saw one until he saw mine.

My Impressa sometimes take a week to defecate. If you tortoise has been in the bad condition of the market, it might take a little while to get her digestion system sorted out. It is good that she is eating.

Your English is effective.
Cheers
Scruff
Hello, nice to meet you mrscruffy
Are you also keeping an impressed tortoise. How about your tortoise.
Can you share me any picture
Thank you

Berkeley

Out of curiosity, what is the Vietnamese name for '3-tail tortoise'?
I hope we start to see some regular success with this enigmatic species!
Best of luck with it,
--Berkeley

PhongTrang

Berkeley

@Berkeley in Vietnam we call its "Rùa Núi Viền".I dont know how to explain, it meant about the mountain tortoise

Thanks very much, PhongTrang. I find native or local names for animals very interesting. If I understand your statement, the name is more often applied to Manouria emys?

--Berkeley

gallagherj

10 Year Member!
Hello Sir:
Where can I obtain an impressed tortoise? Could you point me in the right direction?

gallagherj

10 Year Member!
Hello sir:
Where can I obtain an impressed tortoise? Can you point me in the right direction? I love Manouria