IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I'm visiting family in AZ and was driving through a local grocery store parking lot when I saw the impossible. They have bags and bags of cypress mulch for like a little over $3 a bag. I was under the impression that it was impossible to find this stuff anywhere in the west. I didn't get a good look, but they looked like the big 2 cuft bags.

I first I felt elated, then I felt like a nerd (who gets excited for wood chips!!!), and then I felt excited again. I'm going to pick some up on my way out of town since I can get 3 bags for a fifth of the price I spent on having 2 bags shipped to me. Rock on!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's always nice to find a deal.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I guess it's hard for an eastcoaster like myself to relate. I can go to Lowes and get huge bags of cypress mulch for $3, or sometimes less, depending on the time of year. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
-ryan- said:
I guess it's hard for an eastcoaster like myself to relate. I can go to Lowes and get huge bags of cypress mulch for $3, or sometimes less, depending on the time of year. :D

Oh, is that right? Well my tortoises bask in the sun in 80 degree weather............. IN JANUARY!!! Ha! Take that!:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What grocery store location were they at????

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in NY and I have to spend 10$ for a little bag of Forest Floor. That's the closest I can get to it, also we go down into the 20's or lower in January....blah, blah, blah...you lucky boy's!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:
I'm in NY and I have to spend 10$ for a little bag of Forest Floor. That's the closest I can get to it, also we go down into the 20's or lower in January....blah, blah, blah...you lucky boy's!

It was only 90 degrees here today, I had to put on a sweater.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
We are spoiled in the south. I spent Wednesday spreading 70 bags of cypress mulch in my yard.
It is $2.00 a bag at all the local Lowes and Home Depots.

owlshead19

5 Year Member
Clearwater, Florida
I understand the whole "impossible" thing - I live in Florida and had a hard time believing the cheap mulch at Lowes was what everyone uses for torts - it's so cheap here I thought it had to be the wrong stuff.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Neal Butler said:

I'll have to let you know later today after I go there. But, it's a little grocery store in Wickenburg (Which if I understand things correctly is like an hour NW of Mesa???)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
PeanutbuttER said:
Neal Butler said:

I'll have to let you know later today after I go there. But, it's a little grocery store in Wickenburg (Which if I understand things correctly is like an hour NW of Mesa???)

Oh, thats a little far for me..thanks though.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tom said:
-ryan- said:

Oh, is that right? Well my tortoises bask in the sun in 80 degree weather............. IN JANUARY!!! Ha! Take that!:D

You are an evil, evil person, Tom ;)

So, I am gonna ship all 17 of my torts and the three box turtles to you in a month or so, for you to keep for me all winter, kay?

Holy crap I have 17 tortoises....

Alithany

5 Year Member
California's Central Valley
Wow that's lucky! I'm in the central valley in Ca and I've asked at home depot, lowes, kmart, target, and various garden nurseries for cypress mulch--the reactions I received ranged from, "I've never heard of that," "that doesn't exist because mulch is usually a mixture of forest products," to "Oh the nurseries should have that." *sigh* What else do people use as mulch that I can use and actually find around here?! Red wood is a no no, right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
Tom said:
-ryan- said:

You are an evil, evil person, Tom ;)

So, I am gonna ship all 17 of my torts and the three box turtles to you in a month or so, for you to keep for me all winter, kay?

Holy crap I have 17 tortoises....

Sure... there is a price for everything...

Alithany said:
Wow that's lucky! I'm in the central valley in Ca and I've asked at home depot, lowes, kmart, target, and various garden nurseries for cypress mulch--the reactions I received ranged from, "I've never heard of that," "that doesn't exist because mulch is usually a mixture of forest products," to "Oh the nurseries should have that." *sigh* What else do people use as mulch that I can use and actually find around here?! Red wood is a no no, right?

Here is some stuff I found down here in Southern CA:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Substrate--13520?highlight=substrate

You can also use orchid bark, plain soil, coco coir or chips, or order some cypress mulch from one of the sellers that advertise here on the forum, like my friend Tyler at: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I got it at a store called ALCO. I've never heard of them before, but they are a chain store. Turned out the price was about $2.50 per 2 cu ft bag. I brought 4 bags back with me to UT and I paid a fifth of what I paid like a month ago to have 2 bags shipped to me. Also, it looks to have be a finer shred than the other ones I got (less big chunks).

What a deal (for those of us out west...)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
ALCO is like ALDI, I think- an interesting chain featuring low prices on 'unusual' brands of common items (not quite generic or house brand and usually decent quality. The thing that drives me crazy about ALDI is that if I find something there I like today, it may not be there next week.

Good deal on the cypress!

Can you 'cypress poor' people order it special order from an Ace or Home Depot?

Alithany

5 Year Member
California's Central Valley
I've asked at both Ace and Home depot about cypress mulch and if I would be able to order...they didn't seem to know what I was talking about! So sad!
Tom: Thanks for the links on the substrate. I found a bag similar and same brand as the first link you had posted at a Home depot. It listed 'forest products' as its ingredients...I wasn't sure if 'forest products' was safe?? I'd be surprised if it doesn't contain some form of pine. I found redwood mulch...is that a no no?

I forgot to add this is for an 8 x 8 foot outdoor enclosure....would hay work? Not the most visually pleasing...but if its functional it might be worth it.

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
Alithany said:
I've asked at both Ace and Home depot about cypress mulch and if I would be able to order...they didn't seem to know what I was talking about!

If you order it online will they ship it to your local store for pickup? I ordered my snowblower at ace online and they shipped it to my local store for free.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
wpk said:
Alithany said:
I've asked at both Ace and Home depot about cypress mulch and if I would be able to order...they didn't seem to know what I was talking about!

If you order it online will they ship it to your local store for pickup? I ordered my snowblower at ace online and they shipped it to my local store for free.

I've looked and usually they consider mulch a regional product and don't list it on their website so you can't always find it available online :(

I've also asked at Home depot and lowes and stuff and they've said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.