I'm a crazy hypo hoarder!!! Haha
Just gave everyone a nice soak....

Pearl Snowway, Charmander, Pip, Nismo, Vanilla Bean, T Rex

ebff.jpg

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Picked up some new passion flower vines. Hoping to get some nice treats out of them for the torts!

h8g8.jpg

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
It's hard to tell without zooming in but what is wrong with the one on the left? Looks like it just got out of the ring with Mike Tyson. Did the breeder tell you about it before sending it to you? Hopefully it does not affect it negatively in any way.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jtrux said:
It's hard to tell without zooming in but what is wrong with the one on the left? Looks like it just got out of the ring with Mike Tyson. Did the breeder tell you about it before sending it to you? Hopefully it does not affect it negatively in any way.

Yes he did .....and the Tortoise is just fine...Actually one of the most personal torts indeed...thanks for your eagle eye and comment.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
You're absolutely welcome. I love participating in threads you're involved in. It's always very stimulating.

Oh and I have a friend with a cleft lip and palate. He's a really swell guy, too.

I am curious, though, how well is that one keeping pace in terms of growth rate with other hypo siblings its age? Is it the same, larger, or smaller? I have seen a facial birth defect like that once or twice before. Those other animals seemed to grow much slower than their clutchmates.

Personally, I couldn't sell a tortoise like that for a couple of reasons.

1. I wouldn't want *that* tortoise representing me. I just imagine someone coming to my house and saying, "Eww, what's wrong with that one...? You paid how much...? You bought it from who...?" You get the idea.

2. What is "the breeder" gonna do when/if that tortoise develops serious health problems because of that birth defect? Would he say that, "...the Tortoise is just fine...Actually one of the most personal (I am assuming you meant personable but I don't want to correct you in fear that you might not know the difference) torts indeed..."???

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
She is deff small for her age, as the orange one is 5months behind her in age. Although, she seems to eat decently well despite the cleft.

jimmyb4343

As a breeder we all know your gonna produce animals with defects. How do you deal with them? Kill them? Some people like that stuff so it's always good to find them a good home and a chance at life.

I have a redfoot with one eye. He is one of my favorite tortoises. One eye willie is the bomb!!! All these people are paying top dollar for mutations and defects. 2 headed animals are very expensive.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes, if the deformity is severe enough a lot of time the animals have to be euthanized. In the wild imperfect animals are born all the time but they end up being picked off by predators or dying of starvation or various other ailments.

Yes. Many imperfect animals are priced high. That does not mean that they are purchased for that amount or they even sell at all.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your new babies are amazing! Love those colors!
The Cove is an awesome place!
You have quite a beautiful herd, Whitney!
:)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
jtrux said:
You're absolutely welcome. I love participating in threads you're involved in. It's always very stimulating.

Oh and I have a friend with a cleft lip and palate. He's a really swell guy, too.

I am curious, though, how well is that one keeping pace in terms of growth rate with other hypo siblings its age? Is it the same, larger, or smaller? I have seen a facial birth defect like that once or twice before. Those other animals seemed to grow much slower than their clutchmates.

Personally, I couldn't sell a tortoise like that for a couple of reasons.

1. I wouldn't want *that* tortoise representing me. I just imagine someone coming to my house and saying, "Eww, what's wrong with that one...? You paid how much...? You bought it from who...?" You get the idea.

2. What is "the breeder" gonna do when/if that tortoise develops serious health problems because of that birth defect? Would he say that, "...the Tortoise is just fine...Actually one of the most personal (I am assuming you meant personable but I don't want to correct you in fear that you might not know the difference) torts indeed..."???

first of all i want to say is that JD (N2TORTS) is an expert in what he does and sells....

secondly..... these are living creatures, not aesthetic objects that if there is a defect, which is cosmetic ~obviously~ then euthanise them or no one would buy them because of the bad look on that particular specimen's face....

even the ones with defect can be taken care of and can live a normal life with right human intervention and help.....

i don't intend to start any arguments here....

And Whitney your new additions are magnificent.... you have the best herd indeed

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Yesterday was Vanilla Bean's birthday! She is officially one year old and growing fast :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
*** Happy Birth Day Bean *** :shy:
Your collection looks mighty fine......:)

JD~:shy: