I'm new to tortoises!!

sulcata1861

Hi thank you tom for commenting! I've actually found where you commented in another post and followed all your links... they have been extremely helpful!! I'm unsure how I had such high humidity in the open top(closed but has screen) but it could have some to do with the extreme flooding we have had the past few months here in tx....but I did notice that the longer I had the pellets the less humid it was getting.. I'm now at 80-85% humidity with the cypress mulch... can actually see the moisture on the tank... sadly I'm not able to get the new enclosure built until next weekend so I am hoping I can keep things at proper temp/humidity in this small tank til then... I'm having a closed chamber enclosure built... should I plant any live plants inside the new enclosure?if so any you'd recommend that could survive in the enclosure? I was going to start slowly introducing him to grass but today I offered both the zoomed food and several different grass types and he went straight for the grass!! Ate more then I thought a small tortoise could eat! I was excited to see he was a fan of grass. (Maybe the breeder gave them grass) I'll have to try to mix it to to give better variety.
Anyways I've spent most of my day today watching all of the temp and humidity readers... the ambient temp has stayed between 80 and 85 along with the humidity... but the hot zone is reaching 105 at times...should I be concerned about this?? I have the lamp as far away as I can get it (atleast until I get the new set up in)... today was also the first day he came out while I was holding him... I've been soaking him 30 minutes a day... really wanting to avoid any pyramiding. And thank you for all the advice! It's hard finding accurate care for tortoises online most websites have different recommendations so it's hard to know which to follow...

Thank you!!

sulcata1861

I wanted to answer your initial questions in my own words, but first a bit about "research". Most of what is out there in the world is wrong. Most websites, experts, vets and breeders are basing their advice on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about the natural environment that sulcatas come from. It was wrong then and its still wrong, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how so many people have still not figured this out.

In any case, you've found us, and its sounds like you have gotten the message. :)

Your questions:
1. I would not listen to anything this breeder told you. I start hatchlings in 4x4' or 4x8' enclosures and they have NO trouble finding their food. Yes, an enclosure that is too small can hurt. They need room to move and exercise. Once you put all the "furniture" in a small enclosure, there is hardly any room left to walk. They need to walk. It helps them digest their food.
2. Soak babies every day. You might be able to over-soak one if it was in deep water all day every day, but daily 20-30 minutes soaks, or double that, will not hurt anything.
3a. You need a closed chamber to keep things warm and humid. Fighting an open top is futile.
3b. If you are using a coil type cfl UV bulb, it is probably burning his eyes and causing him to hide all day.
3c. No heat pads, but you already got this advice…
3d. Alfalfa pellets are not a suitable substrate, and how are you maintaining 60-70% humidity with dry substrate and an open top? Are you using the dial type stick-on Petco thermometer, hygrometers? Those are not accurate or reliable. Get a digital one from the hardware store.
3e. I would move him to the warmer room. They desensitize to activity quickly.
3f. Yes, a space heater will dry things out.
4. Spring mix is okay some of the time, but you need much more variety. I would mix the calcium powder with greens twice a week and the vitamins once a week. The ZooMed is good if you soak one pellet and then thoroughly mix that all in with the greens of the day.

All of this and more is explained here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

What NOT to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What to feed them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Hi thank you tom for commenting! I've actually found where you commented in another post and followed all your links... they have been extremely helpful!! I'm unsure how I had such high humidity in the open top(closed but has screen) but it could have some to do with the extreme flooding we have had the past few months here in tx....but I did notice that the longer I had the pellets the less humid it was getting.. I'm now at 80-85% humidity with the cypress mulch... can actually see the moisture on the tank... sadly I'm not able to get the new enclosure built until next weekend so I am hoping I can keep things at proper temp/humidity in this small tank til then... I'm having a closed chamber enclosure built... should I plant any live plants inside the new enclosure?if so any you'd recommend that could survive in the enclosure? I was going to start slowly introducing him to grass but today I offered both the zoomed food and several different grass types and he went straight for the grass!! Ate more then I thought a small tortoise could eat! I was excited to see he was a fan of grass. (Maybe the breeder gave them grass) I'll have to try to mix it to to give better variety.
Anyways I've spent most of my day today watching all of the temp and humidity readers... the ambient temp has stayed between 80 and 85 along with the humidity... but the hot zone is reaching 105 at times...should I be concerned about this?? I have the lamp as far away as I can get it (atleast until I get the new set up in)... today was also the first day he came out while I was holding him... I've been soaking him 30 minutes a day... really wanting to avoid any pyramiding. And thank you for all the advice! It's hard finding accurate care for tortoises online most websites have different recommendations so it's hard to know which to follow...

Thank you!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Megan, and a very wam welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I like spider plants in my enclosure, but be careful with store bought ones that may have been treated with chemicals.

sulcata1861

Hello, Megan, and a very wam welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I like spider plants in my enclosure, but be careful with store bought ones that may have been treated with chemicals.
Alright thank you!! I'll hv to go to the local nursery and see if they have any.