Im new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooboo1978

5 Year Member

Hello just introducing myself,my name is wendy and i have 2 horsefield tortoises called Thunder and Flower.

look forward to hearing from other reptile lovers.

wooboo1978

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,just introducing myself,im wendy and i have 2 horsefield tortoises called Thunder and Flower.

look forward to hearing from other reptile lovers.

Attachments

• DSC_2271.jpg
    DSC_2271.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49

PapS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syros, Greece
RE: Newbie

Hi thar! Nice tort names. They are male and female I guess?

dlrowe

5 Year Member
Re: Newbie

Hi Wendy, welcome to the forum! My name is Dina and I have 3 Russians and a Greek tortoise.

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What is that your feeding on the side of the dish upper right side?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He Wendy, and welcome to the Forum!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hello! Welcome to the forum. May I ask how long you have had your two?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! Hope your enjoying your time here! Just wanted to ask, what is that gooey looking orange stuff your feeding her?

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Wendy and Welcome to TFO!! :) your torts are really cute :)

wooboo1978

5 Year Member
Hi

I have had them for just over a week now,but im a little concerned over one of them as i have never seen it with its eyes open and after reading some comments on the forum,it could be a number of things,Dehydration,not enough/to much uv light,i have read that you can give them a bath with baby food in it (carrot or butternut squash) to help with dehydration, but i cant seem to find any,all i have found is carrot with potato,which i believe they cant have is that right ?

Any help would be lovely. thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you using any of the coil type bulbs? If so, get rid of it and replace with either the mercury vapor bulbs or the tube fluorescent type both with UVB. Coil bulbs cause eye problems. You can also use pumpkin if you can't find the plain carrot baby food. You can also add things listed in this thread http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-33012.html

wooboo1978

5 Year Member
Hi wellington

Thanks for your reply, i have discovered today after seeking advice that my little Thunder is blind.

Im so upset,feel so sad for him.

I dont have the coil bulbs,im glad you mention it though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wendy:

I'm pretty sure that if you soak the tortoise every day and gently rub the eye lid with a Q-tip in the soaking water that eventually he will be able to open his eyes. I doubt he's blind, its just that his eyes are swollen shut. You have to fix the problem as to why they swelled shut in the first place. By soaking in strained carrots baby food, the tortoise will absorb some of the nutrients from the soaking water. If you can't find the baby food, (its human baby food), then you can use a few drops of liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water. Leave the tortoise in the water for at least a half hour, but keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't tip over.

There are a couple of ointments I use for swollen eyes. I don't know if you can get them in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.