I'm new and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evie

5 Year Member
Hi- I'm new to this forum and thought I would be able to get some good info! I am slightly worried about one of my tortoises so thought you might be able to help?
I have 2 baby horsfield tortoise: Molly and Trevor.
Molly is eating lots and looks very healthy, however Trevor's eyes look quite puffy and he is always itching them and he doesn't seem to eat much!
(They were bought from different places) anyone have any advice?
My parents kept Hermans for 20 years and don't know what's wrong with him!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Puffy eyes are usually a vitamin a deficiency, respiratory infection, or an irritation to the eyes.

Evie

5 Year Member
Ok, what would you suggest for vitamin a?
Thanks

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
One thing you could do is put baby food strained carrots in the water when you soak him thats one way to get vitamins

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
I am a newb so I am sure someone will have better advice...but my Tort had similar symptoms (puffy eyes not wanting to eat very much) and I took him to the vet and they agreed it was a lack of vitamins and provided him with shots for the next 6 days, and some special vitamin herb food to sprinkle on his food. There are lots of really helpful people on here so WELCOME!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Evie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Please, if you take your tortoise to the vet, don't allow any vitamin injections. The previous poster lucked out and didn't have bad results, but quite a few of the vets don't really know the correct dosage and end up overdosing the turtle on vitamin A. It is very easy to get the vitamins into the tortoise through soaking or eating, and an injection isn't necessary and could be dangerous.

Let's find out a few answers from you first before we give you some suggestions.

What kind of light do you have over the tortoise?

What kind of substrate do you use and is it dry?

What do you feed the tortoise?

(Also, may we know appx. where you are?)

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Evie:

Please, if you take your tortoise to the vet, don't allow any vitamin injections. The previous poster lucked out and didn't have bad results, but quite a few of the vets don't really know the correct dosage and end up overdosing the turtle on vitamin A. It is very easy to get the vitamins into the tortoise through soaking or eating, and an injection isn't necessary and could be dangerous.

Let's find out a few answers from you first before we give you some suggestions.

Oh no now I am kind of worried should I go against the vets advice and not give my Tort the shots? I have not finished his shots he is suppose to have 5 more days... he also said to not soak him everyday like I have but to do it every third day (I think that is because Guido has soft shell too though). :( ... This was the only reptile vet I found and I used this site so now I don't really know what to do...

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Also, RT's are solitary animals and usually don't get along very well together. There might be some competition for the food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LuvmyGreenSon said:
Oh no now I am kind of worried should I go against the vets advice and not give my Tort the shots? I have not finished his shots he is suppose to have 5 more days... he also said to not soak him everyday like I have but to do it every third day (I think that is because Guido has soft shell too though). :( ... This was the only reptile vet I found and I used this site so now I don't really know what to do...

Unless you know for a fact that your vet has given you bad advice, one should always continue to do what the vet says. Maybe your vet is one who understands the correct dosage. What you want to look for is raw skin. At the first sign of any raw spots on the tortoise's skin, take it back to the vet immediately and tell him about a vitamin A overdose.

Evie

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Evie:

Hi :) thanks for your reply, my dad lowered the lamp as there wasn't enough heat before and it's made such a difference! Trevor had eaten lots today and has been very active :) I just think he was cold?
I live in the north of England :)

Also Molly and Trevor get on really well, so it deffenetly wasn't her.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Follow the vets advise...
I supplement their diets with avitrol (alot of different vitamins and micronutrients in a sugary base) given in their water or sprinkled over their food. It isn't very often that I have to do this if I can provide at least 15 different "weeds" in their diet every week.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! :) Glad it was just a little tweaking that needed to be done with the lights/heat. Have the eyes shown improvement too? Hermanns have such beautiful shells, I hope in the future perhaps you will post us pictures of them. :tort:

Evie

5 Year Member
His eyes still are a little puffy and take him a while to open them, would eyedrops help?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would soak him in the babyfood/warm water and or bird vitamins..
saline eye drops would not hurt, if its an irratant..
How long have you had them? Did the eye thing start after you got him or did he come with it?

Evie

5 Year Member
Well I've had him a couple of weeks, only noticed how puffy his eyes look compared to Molly's and we got her a couple of days ago!
Also, howmuch food should they be eating daily?

Taminator

5 Year Member
Ireland
Hi,
I only literally joined today and saw your post,
my lil guy pudge had a similar thing happen to his eyes, so i brought him to the vet and turned out it was an eye infection.
So he gave pudge a shot of a 7 day long antibiotic and some eye drops, I also washed his eyes everyday with a tiny pinch of salt in hot water and he was better in 3 days :) Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.