I'm a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
Hello my name is kaz, I live in Romford, Essex uk and I have just been gifted with a 1yr: old western hermanns who I have called munster..lol a play on words there. He, I say he because the reptile expert at the animal centre we bought him from said that it's a strong possibility him is a boy, he has been very active since we got him, however reading some threads here I am not so sure, he comes out of his hidy box when he hears my voice, I call his name and give him dandelion leaves, so he has already associated me with food... Awww cupboard love, but he seems to spend a lot of time in his hidy box, I have checked the temperature and it's all as it should be, and when he does come out he's very active and fast. Also he only seems to eats dandelion leaves, I've tried some other things from my garden but he's not interested. Also he sniffs the air and he looks so cute when he does that, however sometimes he looks like he's sniffing but he's just breathing is it normal for his breathing to be so noticeable it's like he's panting....he has no discharge from his eyes or nose, they are clear and bright... I'll leave it there for now I don't want to appear to be a stress mumma...:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

That's quite a username you've chosen for yourself! :D

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
hello l4dyamethyst2011,

your litte tort has to habituate to his new home. apart from this it's normal, that young thh are very shy. that's an instinct.

can you post some pics of the enclosure?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Welcome im in uk in the northwes 1
Enjoy your stay!

Welcome im in uk in the northwes
Enjoy your stay!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your not appearing to be a "stressed Momma", your just showing real new owner concerns and questions, which is all good! :D Everything does sound good at this point. Young tortoises do a lot of hiding, when they are not busy eating. In the wild, it helps them to not be seen and eaten. ;) Sounds like the breathing movement your seeing is also the normal one, but do watch and listen carefully that it does not turn toward a respiratory problem. Kaz, do we get to see a picture or three of your new pride and joy? Welcome to the forum! :tort:

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
Wow thanks for support I managed to get him to try some Rose petals today, he sort of just picked at them, so I treated him to some more dandelion leaves, I was wondering, feeding.... Little and often, certain times of the day or one portion per day, because at the moment he seems to be enjoying little and often then when he's had enough he pops off back to him hidy box.. Appreciate the replies..... Will be posting pics very soon...xxx

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
l4dyamethyst2011 said:
Wow thanks for support I managed to get him to try some Rose petals today, he sort of just picked at them, so I treated him to some more dandelion leaves, I was wondering, feeding.... Little and often, certain times of the day or one portion per day, because at the moment he seems to be enjoying little and often then when he's had enough he pops off back to him hidy box.. Appreciate the replies..... Will be posting pics very soon...xxx

I don't think I've said hello. Hello!

I'm from Leyland (near Preston), and have Emrys, a two year old Hermann's.

:) Got him under a week ago myself, but he's settled in fast! What seems to be working for me, food-wise, is to put a reasonable amount in once a day, and remove any left when he gives up and walks away, which usually takes him around twenty minutes. I've also added a plant to his enclosure, so he's free to graze whenever he pleases, which he seemed mildly interested in. He took a few bites before he decided it might be better than his hide for sleeping underneath.

l4dyamethyst2011

5 Year Member
I am going to try to Add a photo of MUNSTER to this post
6d5ba261.jpg

C

Claireabbo

cute tort!! :D welcome! :D he is also probably just shy and since hes a baby he liikes to sleep alot (like all babys human or not) ;) hehe so i think its going fine. but dont try to feed him too much since he is little and will not eat alot. :D glad to have you here to talk to us! :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Cute! He's lovely! :D

I need to get something white to take photographs on... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.