I'm a newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

blsabob23

5 Year Member
I purchased two baby leopards about 3 years ago from a pet store. Turns out that the place had a rep for selling weak animals. Consequently, neither lived more than a month. I'd like to try again, but considering my last experience, I'm a bit gunshy. I see a lot of dealers/breeders online and have no way to tell which ones are good and which ones are bad. Can anyone help me determine how to weed out the bad breeders and find a reputable one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
blsabob23 said:
I purchased two baby leopards about 3 years ago from a pet store. Turns out that the place had a rep for selling weak animals. Consequently, neither lived more than a month. I'd like to try again, but considering my last experience, I'm a bit gunshy. I see a lot of dealers/breeders online and have no way to tell which ones are good and which ones are bad. Can anyone help me determine how to weed out the bad breeders and find a reputable one?

That's a real tough question. I don't really believe that there are whole groups of "weak" babies. I feel that babies are very fragile and require a lot of care...more care than just putting them in an aquarium and feeding them. I'm not saying that's what you did..however, there are quite a few things to consider in taking care of babies: correct lighting, hiding place, correct substrate, the right amount of heat and the correct temperature, the correct diet for the type of tortoise.

I always try to talk first-time tortoise keepers out of buying a baby. Some babies just don't make it even with the best of care. However, I doubt you will find an older leopard at a rescue, and it sounds like you have your mind set on a leopard.

So the only advice I can give you is to read through the posts here, and see the common questions that hatchling owners have asked and pay attention to the answers. Then, after you have educated yourself, and bought the correct kind of equipment, try to find a breeder, not a pet store. The only leopard breeder that I personally know of is Richard Fife in Arizona. He has quality animals, but I'm sure there are others.

Good luck with your search...and read...read...READ!!!

Yvonne

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Yep, Yvonne is correct. Hatchlings are fragile. regardless of how great you care for them, some just dont make it.
I would try a rescue and get on a list. get a proven teenager. however,, they can be very sensitive and bringing it into a new unfamiliar enviroment.. can cause a set back..
do some more reading....HA! maybe chose a different type of tort?
welcome here you will learn a lot. if you tll us where you are from,, we can advise who to contact for rescues , vet care etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.