Iguana troubles

KaderTheAnts

Hey guys! I have my pal Jarrette the green iguana who seems to be getting a wee bit nippy. If I go near his cage at time he'll begin to hiss and he'll focus on my hand. My mom said if I can't resolve our problem I wouldn't be able to keep him anymore and I don't know many people that wanna deal with an angry iguana so he'll probably end up getting euthanized.please help me!!

swatsx

5 Year Member
I've never kept one but I wanted to for years so I used to do some research someone else here will know better then me I'm sure

Anyway from what I can remember iguanas are always a bit nippy and "mean" it's all about how you approach them if you come in fast and from above he probably thinks your going to eat him, spend time outside his cage just sit there and watch, no sudden movements don't just grab him let him get used to who you are let him see you bring food then after a week or so leave your hand in there again don't force him to be held just set it in he has to get used to the fact your not going to try to eat him and even then from what I remember they can still be a bit skittish good luck to you and I'm sure someone will chime in with better advice soon

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get you some good gloves to keep him from scratching up your arms . Then get you a banana . Start holding him everyday and hand feed him as a treat when he is behaving himself . The trick to it is let him cool down a little .Do muck with him if he has been sitting under a heat lamp .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
How old, how big and what gender? A male iguana that is in season is a terrible force to be reckoned with. Same goes for any iguana that isn't getting about an hour of human interaction a day.

What size is his enclosure? When my iguana outgrew his 4x4x6ft enclosure as a juvenile he was much more protective of his territory until we expanded him to his 10x13ft adult space. They need a lot of space, high up basking areas and a set schedule of interaction to be good pets. Otherwise they can be real terrors.

Having an iguana was incredibly satisfying and maddening at the same time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most healthy, well cared for iguanas are like that. Just one reason I tell people they don't usually make good pets.

Their bite is serious and they will damage your eyes with their tail, so be careful.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
6stitched.jpg
Most healthy, well cared for iguanas are like that. Just one reason I tell people they don't usually make good pets.

Their bite is serious and they will damage your eyes with their tail, so be careful.

I'll agree with that one. 6 years of him being a love bug, and then one bad day....bam!

KaderTheAnts

He's a big guy, almost 2 ft long. He's a boy, and he's been held since he was hatchling. I've owned him since he was a month old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My mom said if I can't resolve our problem I wouldn't be able to keep him anymore and I don't know many people that wanna deal with an angry iguana so he'll probably end up getting euthanized.please help me!!

There is no need for euthanasia. Simply give him to someone that can handle him.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Under your bed? Iguanas generally feel most secure when they have a high perch to survey their territory from.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am slightly confused by your enclosure. Can we see a zoomed out photo that shows HOW it is situated?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here, the Haitians call them "tree chicken" for a reason.
They love to climb.
(And taste like chicken?)
I have several scars to remind me of the few times I've tried to keep one as a pet.

KaderTheAnts

Okay so his enclosure is the problem. Well my tree chicken will be getting a new enclosure then. If that's the issue than thank you so much.