identify turtle please

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan halbert

5 Year Member
Could someone please tell me what kind of turtle this is? Found it in the yard while cutting grass almost ran over it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• DSC00824.JPG
    DSC00824.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 97

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its a little baby box turtle. There are probably 3 more in the yard, as they usually come in clutches of 4.

Hi Alan:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know where you are?

alan halbert

5 Year Member
I am just north of birmingham al. Do you know what kind of box turtle it is? What do I need to feed him. My two boys are in love with him we have put him in a 10 gallon with dirt and a little water bowl. Could anyone give me any kind of advice as this is the first turtle we have had. Am really looking forward to learning everything I kind and do what ever I need to do to make him happy.Thank you to everyone for what ever advice ya'll can give this nebie. Alan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its hard to I.D. baby box turtles sometimes. It may be an eastern, but it also might be a 3 toed. Does it have four toes or three on a back foot?

A 10 gallon is good for a start. Get some leaves and mix them in with the dirt in the tank, then have a layer of leaves over the dirt. You'll need a feeding rock or tile and a small waterer with short sides. It would be nice to have a little hiding place...an inverted sour cream tub with a door cut out, or something like that. Maybe a small plant or two. Baby box turtles are prey and very scared out in the open. They like lots of hiding places.

The eat small bugs, worms, crickets, etc. I usually chop up some fruit and veggies...just a very small amount...then put a couple meal worm on top of that. You can vary the type of insects/worms you feed to give him a nice variety.

Take a look through our box turtle section. There are many nice habitats and good ideas for you in there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention:

Turtles and tortoises are cold blooded. That means that they need an outside source in order to warm up their bodies. So you'll need some sort of light over the tank so the baby can warm up. Without the ability to warm up to over 80 degrees, they won't eat.

This is a two-edged sword. You give him a light to warm him up so he'll eat, but because he's so small, the light dries him out and he becomes dehydrated (and dies). So its a very good idea to dig him up every day and place him in a bowl of shallow water for about 15 minutes.

alan halbert

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your quick reply this site has the nicest people on it. It looks like he has 3 toes but there is 1 very small one other than the big three. I have him in the garage it is 90degreas out here. We went to the pet store this morning and got two small dishes put one with water in it and the other with some zoo med turtle food in it he has already been in water dish. Will he do this on his own or do I need to put him in the bowl for water as you recommended. Again thank you for all the advice it is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He will do it on his own, but I would still put in into a bowl of shallow water that he can't climb out of and leave him there for 15 minutes a day.

Give your kids a job of going around the yard on hands and knees and looking for your new baby's brothers.

alan halbert

5 Year Member
Kids are already looking. Could you elaborate on what kind of fruits and vegatalbes. Do I just chop the crickets and worms up also?

Thank you JacksonR We have many pets from dogs to goats, and a koi pond but I no nothing about turtles. When I first put him in the aquariom he started digging and covered himself up wanted to make double sure it wasn't a golpher tortoise. Again thanks for the help and all the advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any fruit is fine. I use a lot of melon, peaches, plums etc. And I just cut it enough that the baby has an edge to bite off of.

For the veggies, I use those veggies that are really fruit: cucumber, tomato, etc. plus the occasional zucchini or yellow squash. They really love red leaf lettuce.

kires mom

5 Year Member
I know it's exciting to find turtles in the wild, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that it is always best to leave wild animals in the wild. As hard as we try to make wonderful, healthy environments for our pets, nothing can take the place of the turtle's natural environment. It's fine to keep a turtle for a day or so, especially to educate children. But I really hope you'll consider returning this baby to the wild.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
kires mom said:
I know it's exciting to find turtles in the wild, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that it is always best to leave wild animals in the wild. As hard as we try to make wonderful, healthy environments for our pets, nothing can take the place of the turtle's natural environment. It's fine to keep a turtle for a day or so, especially to educate children. But I really hope you'll consider returning this baby to the wild.

i agree with the above, but looks like a cute baby 3-toed, (some 3-toed box turtles have 4 toes, so can't always use that as definitive). Glad you saw him though before the mower, wild chelonia are having a hard time as it is.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Perhaps a compromise with a backyard habitat that is turtle friendly???

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you're going to keep him, I wouldn't put him outside yet, unless you can provide a totally screened area where he would be protected. Inside, I would keep him in a planted vivarium that would mimic the environment that he came from. Plenty of plants to hid under, and leaf litter to dig in. Here's the best site IMHO for keeping box turtles. Loads of pictures too. Good luck.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/raisingbabyturtles.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.