Fussy eater with bad eyes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry about mixing up the posts. Maybe I need to not reply in the middle of the night.

But I do want to say something about Mazuri. It's made by Purina specifically for tortoises. I feed it to my big Sulcata who is a great eater and will eat anything. During our cold winters when it's snowing or freezing, even tho he a mature 150 pounds I don't let him out. The grass is under the snow anyway. So he eats hay and produce and sometimes his poop is semi runny and the Mazuri firms him up.
However, my smaller tortoises who sometimes don't eat so good during the winter will develop a taste for Mazuri and will stop eating the grass or hay that is better for them. I personally think it's the molasses used as a binding agent. It's hard on them to stop the Mazuri and force them to eat better. In MY case it's safer not to feed Mazuri to anybody but Bob. I would not feed it to a small tort who already is having an eating problem. But there again, that's just me...

This is my Sulcata's shed during the winter...
2mzwsyh.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
jlb1077 said:
Is this one ok?

Hi jlb:

I left your first picture on this thread instead of moving it to a thread for you alone because it seemed to fit the subject and really wasn't taking anything away from the original person's questions. But if you want to know about lighting, please start your own thread and put your questions up there so we can devote our answers to you and you're not hi-jacking Anthony's thread. I have something to say about your latest picture, but I won't say it on Anthony's thread.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
This is a public forum. I was posting pics for reference so he could see what we were talking about. I don't see anything wrong with the pic there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
anthonyholmes said:
Sorry, been at work, we use an arcadia d3uv basking lamp. Also, how often woulf you guys recommend replacing bulbs?

Arcadia makes several types of bulbs. If yours is the coil type, or any of the cfl type bulbs, it may be the source of your problem.

For us to help you, we need some answers. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

What is this tortoise housed in? Glass tank, open table? What size?

What is your humidity level?

How often do you soak?

Hermanni are quite hardy. If yours is not eating and has irritated eyes, something is off with your set up. Please let us help you get it fixed, so he can get on the road to recovery.