ID please

grasstrees

5 Year Member
I know both of these are Spur-thighed but which subspecies please. They are each around 60 years of age and the female weighs 3.5kgImageUploadedByTortForum1385511520.542428.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385511538.305452.jpg
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The darker appears to be Testudo graeca ibera and the lighter one, Algerian T. g. graeca.

grasstrees

5 Year Member
Thanks. Is it acceptable to breed both together? Thanks for the reply. I also inadvertently posted this twice. How can i delete one post. Very sorry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can only help you with the duplicate post, which I took care of. Beautiful torts btw.

grasstrees

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385512453.520085.jpg

Thanks Wellington.appreciate that. Found the web site tonight and am enjoying reading the posts.
Photo = wife and both torts :)

I have another pair of adult spur-thighed (40 years) which are literally half the size of these.
I was told that the there are two sub species and some are larger than others - that the ones to the east are twice the size of the ones in the west ?? Can anyone explain this to me please?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
They are absolute beauties! Thanks for sharing those lovelies.
They could breed but might be best to not do so since they are different subspecies.
I do not know about the size difference between east and west but I seem to recall that Algerians are a tad rare.
Hopefully an expert will come along and give more definitive information.
Your tortoises are jewels! : )