I would love a new baby please help!!!!

eric2013

5 Year Member
Hello I wonder if anyone could help me I would love another tortoise to go into a different enclosure I'm currently having this made for me. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384872274.274454.jpg

I currently have a hermann named Eric and would love to have a different species, can anyone guide me as to which are relatively easy to keep along same requirements as a hermann? Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Wow! That looks nice. Just curious, if you get a baby that requires humidity and consistant heat, how do you close it off to provide that? I would love to build something like that!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that is really nice, love it. I'm not real families with the care of a hermanns, but look into the care of a russian and Greek to see if they are similar to your hermanns.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
While that does look nice, I don't find it suitable for a number of reasons.

1. Too small for adults of any species.
2. The open tops make it unsuitable for babies of any species, in my opinion. You might be okay with russians or greeks if you use damp substrate and a humid hide.
3. Once you add a good layer of substrate, the sides will be too low for my comfort level.

eric2013

5 Year Member
I haven't had it made as yet, my hermann is in an open top table and is completely fine, but now u mention it I will ask the person making it to make the sides taller xx

My herman doesn't require humidity, x

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You should make the difference in height below the windows if you get what I mean and how hard would it be to add a way to put a lid on it? I really would like to see some plans with those features. I have to get away from my "old crate" tables. They are functional beyond belief but they look like crud.

eric2013

5 Year Member
I also hear a lot of different things about enclosures as to which is best, ie some people say no vivs?.. Whilst others say nor tortoise table?.. It can get very confusing but I'm sticking to what I know and Eric is very happy in his open top tortoise table x

I agree with that :) I won't be putting a lid on :) xxx

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
eric2013 said:
I also hear a lot of different things about enclosures as to which is best, ie some people say no vivs?.. Whilst others say nor tortoise table?.. It can get very confusing but I'm sticking to what I know and Eric is very happy in his open top tortoise table x

I agree with that :) I won't be putting a lid on :) xxx

It can get confusing, trust me I know. I have 6 different species! I was asking about the possibilities out of interest in the enclosure, not as advice to you. I have babies that require closed systems to hold in heat and humidity, that is why I was asking. My Boxies and my Russians do not have closed chambers. Boxies are kept very moist and off and on in water and Russians live outside full time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi:

It sounds as if you already have your mind made up. You've asked for our help, and that's what we have given you, and yet you argue that what we've said isn't what your used to.

Baby tortoises...doesn't matter what kind...need a humid environment. Even Hermann's babies hide under ground or bushes or in the tall grass, where it is humid, not totally dry. Just because your Hermann's is being kept in a dry environment doesn't mean that is the correct way to keep him. In HermannChris's care sheet he tells us that Hermann's tortoises should live in a humid environment, but not on damp substrate:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63799.html

I love the look of the habitat you want to have built, and it sounds like you really love it too. But sometimes what the tortoise needs isn't compatible with what we love to look at.

A little Russian tortoise would probably be a good choice. They are terrific little tortoises and are very personable, once they get to know you.

eric2013

5 Year Member
I'm not arguing I'm just confused as people seem to have different views ect, xxx

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, they do have different views Eric. You are right. And everyone thinks their way is the best too. The best thing to do is do a lot of research, talk to a lot of tortoise people and use your common sense.

eric2013

5 Year Member
Thank you Lisa, I'm messeging a breeder at the moment I have had Eric a year n a half and he has been given a clean bill of health, so I'm not going to change anything xxxxx

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Eric you can ask the tort people about
What torts need Greek torts need one thing. But then red foots need another
And when think you have it pat then
You here from some one else but they
Have Box turtles
But then you talk to someone with 13 yrs of torts maybe Russains , Greeks ,
Leopards , Herrmans , Egypations, Pancakes, 2 different box turtles , and
Water turtles .
That will tell you something different
I think I would listen to the one with
The most exsp .
But you do what you think is best
And have a great day

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lisa127 said:
Yes, they do have different views Eric. You are right. And everyone thinks their way is the best too. The best thing to do is do a lot of research, talk to a lot of tortoise people and use your common sense.

And what works for you and your tortoise. The way I have my tortoises set up, here in Central California, is probably way different from the way Jacqui has hers set up back there in the corn field.

You need to research, like Lisa said. Figure out what the tortoise needs to grow healthy and strong, and then provide what he needs whatever way you can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
eric2013 said:

Eric, This is not correct. Some species can get by with less humidity than others, and older mature tortoises generally can get by with less than babies, but all species can benefit from some humidity.

Hermanni actually need more humidity than some of the other testudo species, from what I have learned over the years.

The old info still says to keep most tortoise species dry as a bone. As time has gone by we have learned that this is not natural and not good for them and some of us have learned better ways to do things. Other people cling to the ways of the past, and choose not to acknowledge new and better methods.

I'm not telling you what to do with your tortoise or your set up. I'm just addressing your blanket statement about hermanni and humidity. Do you have a humid hide? Damp substrate? Is your tortoise's shell growing nice and smooth?

eric2013

5 Year Member
All this has gone completely off subject, i have done research and like I said everyone says different, he has regular baths ect and his shell is growing lovely and smooth, he is very healthy and lively, x

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Some of these folks like Tom and Yvonne do have ideas like everyone else,,,,,The only difference is that they have years of experience that got them to the point that they are at.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Agree with big red... Yvonne and tom are great tortoise care givers. I am grateful for their knowledge.. X

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
eric2013 said:

Eric, This is not correct. Some species can get by with less humidity than others, and older mature tortoises generally can get by with less than babies, but all species can benefit from some humidity.

Hermanni actually need more humidity than some of the other testudo species, from what I have learned over the years.

The old info still says to keep most tortoise species dry as a bone. As time has gone by we have learned that this is not natural and not good for them and some of us have learned better ways to do things. Other people cling to the ways of the past, and choose not to acknowledge new and better methods.

I'm not telling you what to do with your tortoise or your set up. I'm just addressing your blanket statement about hermanni and humidity. Do you have a humid hide? Damp substrate? Is your tortoise's shell growing nice and smooth?

Yup, Hermannis like a little humidity, as their natural home is the meadows of the Mediterranean area...hardly desert-like at all.

6918099_orig.jpg

To answer the initial question: An Iberian Greek has similar needs and diet to a Hermann's. As does a Marginated, although they tend to get somewhat larger.