I was wondering ???....

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
I was wondering when I can stop bathing my redfoot tortoises they are about 1 year old now and I adopted them when they were about 6 months old. Its such a hassle to bathe them everyday, and I know that sound's very lazy but they live outside everyday now and school is starting up again soon and I won't have enough time to bathe them everyday or even every week. Also what age will they be approximately 6-8 inches carapace length? I was wondering because that is when I would be able to leave the tortoises outside without them being in an enclosure :) so feel free to answer any of the questions your comments will be greatly appreciated thank you :) :D

1375996312919.jpg1375996328878.jpg1375996341015.jpg1375996353966.jpg1375996383188.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm sorry if you don't have time to soak them ,then you don't need them . I am really sorry for having to say that. But that is part of there care. But not only that the soaking the tort gives you the chance to check them out . So to make sure there's nothing wrong with them .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Get a shallow terra cotta saucer and just drop them in everyday. They can soak and leave when they're ready.

I soak my older one that way and give him a weekly half hour in a tub of shallow water.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
It looks like the soaks are paying off as their shells are beautiful and smooth. for their sakes I would continue the soaks-even if its for 10minutes a day?! :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Just give them a mini pond or large dish with a fine grade that will allow them to drink and soak as they might please. Keep it partially shaded. Dump fresh water in when you have spare moments.

There is no need for a "you don't need them" versus imperative daily soaking false dichotomy.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
REDfoots said:
"Also what age will they be approximately 6-8 inches carapace length? I was wondering because that is when I would be able to leave the tortoises outside without them being in an enclosure..."

Do you mean they'd be free to roam the yard? I'm not sure that's a good idea, unless you have a completely enclosed yard, with solid walls (wood panels or concrete). Even then, depending on where you live, you may have urban predators, like racoons and cats. They always find a way in.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Thank you for information and I agree the comment you don't need them was uncalled for very rude

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Daily soaks for hatchlings is pretty necessary, but once they're big enough to climb into their waterer, and back out safely, I leave the forced soaks alone and let the tortoises soak by themselves. That is usually at around a year of age. So, I think that Raymo2477's advice is pretty trustworthy.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Once mine turn a year old, daily soaks are over. I may give them a soak sporadically as time affords, but they climb in and out of their water dish fine on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.