I was so excited to go tho the zoo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Resampled_2012-04-07_13-57-28_307.jpgO.K so it is a local county zoo....but all of their exibits were inaculate, except for the tortoises! :( They even has signs posted listing their places of origin....correctly, and yet housing them together. Even their Russians and Boxers were overgrown and dusty! Why is it so hard to keep tortoises correctly and not all of the other "reptiles"??

...and YES that is a rubber floor they are on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think I recognize either aldabs or galops, yf, leopard maybe a Rf.

Besides different species in the same habitat, its not even a pleasing habitat. Who wants to see lizards and tortoises in a barren tub?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where is this? What reptile vet would sign off on that? What a shame...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Simply put, they are trying to stuff as many animals as they can into an exhibit. That way, they can house more animals. Show folks more types and species. Have a chance there is always an animal not only out where folks can see it, but also actually moving. All sorta PR type things for them to do, because it "satisfies" the people visiting more then an empty looking enclosure. Most visitors want to see animals and honestly care less about the quality of the habitat or the properness of it.

... and for the record, was just telling you why the zoo would do such a thing, not agreeing in any way that they should.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
I'm seeing a leopard, a yf, 2 aldabras and 2 rfs. Disturbing.

There was another red-foot and a yellow-foot that were walking around....otherwise your count is correct!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
They're keeping Cyclura (rhinocerous iguanas) in w/ the torts? Very bad idea!

How so? My Rhinos and other Cyclura/Ctenosaura do just fine with the Tortoises.......

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
Yikes... and I thought my trip to the flea market was bad (saw a wrongly cared for sulcata) this is so sad.

:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
EricIvins said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
They're keeping Cyclura (rhinocerous iguanas) in w/ the torts? Very bad idea!

How so? My Rhinos and other Cyclura/Ctenosaura do just fine with the Tortoises.......
Do you keep them in the same cage(s)?

The parasites/other "bugs" that are harmless to a Cyclura might eventually kill many tortoise species (which is also why mixing tortoise species is an equally bad idea) and vice-versa. No reason for them to evolve an immunity to each other's "bugs".

May take quite a while to look ill, but by the time it becomes obvious, it could be too late.

In that pic, there were several tortoise species AND the Cycluras...that's several really bad ideas! :(

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
it was a rubberized floor with a big slope in it...apparently it had been an alligator pond previously!! they did bother to put some mulch in an area about 2feet by 2 feet......but the only heat lamp (as you can imagine) is right above the pile of species....there was a kiddi pool in the enclosure.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Irwin4530 said:
it was a rubberized floor with a big slope in it...apparently it had been an alligator pond previously!! they did bother to put some mulch in an area about 2feet by 2 feet......but the only heat lamp (as you can imagine) is right above the pile of species....there was a kiddi pool in the enclosure.

Doesn't anyone write to the manager of the zoo about these things???

EKLC

5 Year Member
What zoo is this, I'll send them an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.