I think somethings wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
My Tort Is not pooping and the last time he did poop it was like a light greenish brown and it almost looked like stringy. I can't post a pic because I threw it away. I am feeding him watery goods like heart of romain and some cucumber, to encourage poop.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
RE: I think somethings rong

chester tortoiseson said:
My Tort Is not pooping and the last time he did poop it was like a light greenish brown and it almost looked like stringy. I can't post a pic because I threw it away. I am feeding him watery goods like heart of romain and some cucumber, to encourage poop.

Feed more variety and soak him every day for 20 minutes in warm water.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Items high in water content won't encourage pooping or hardening of said poop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

dmmj said:

Won't watery things though help a poop if they are constipated? If tortoises can get constipated.:)

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member

Ok i will stop with the watery food and feed him his regular food. But what I am worried about is what the pooped looked like.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

wellington said:
dmmj said:

Won't watery things though help a poop if they are constipated? If tortoises can get constipated.:)
Are you questioning me?

Sorry, seriously though, I don't think adding watery type food will help if a tortoise is constipated. I mean if drinking water doesn't help constipation, not talking about them going pop in their soaks. If it were me I would soak him and see what happens from there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

dmmj said:
wellington said:
dmmj said:

Are you questioning me?

Sorry, seriously though, I don't think adding watery type food will help if a tortoise is constipated. I mean if drinking water doesn't help constipation, not talking about them going pop in their soaks. If it were me I would soak him and see what happens from there.

Sorry, sorry, I absolutely am not questioning you. (on knees, looking at ground shivering):p:D. Just wanted to know, as I thought it would. No poop problems at my house, so I have no clue:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Feed him normally. Is everything else okay? See how the next poop is, as long as everything else seems okay, it Could have been something he ate. Like substrate, grass? If the next poop is the same way, take a pic and post it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Whether watery foods will help constipation or not sort of depends on WHY they are constipated. Dehydration can cause it, and rehydration can help- although I doubt that was the problem here.

Red-footed tortoises (and other omnivorous species) feed too much watery and sweet foods, and/or too little fiber will have loose bowels.

Not seeing feces at all does not mean they are not producing them- this species as well as others often eat their feces for various reasons, and it does not automatically mean they are ill if they do.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
image-3243782449.png

paxtonp

image-32440602.png

Sorry about all the pics, my app messed up😓

Sorry about all the pics, app messed up

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if you keep him off the watery stuff and give him a better diet of greens, natural grazing, Etc. It will harden up a little and not be so mushy. However, I am no expert, so see what others say.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Omg, I am just giving watery stuff to help me get another poo sample! The poop looks funny, it doesn't look solid it looks stringy.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I can tell you that your tortoise poop does not look like what my tortoises poop :p

It looks like there is some undigested food in there, you might want to consider bringing a fecal sample to a vet to check for parasites. Maybe some more experienced keepers can give you a bit more advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not going to look solid with all the watery foods. The stringy is the food he is eating, grasses, hays, weeds, etc. My leopard has the same in it, except formed poop, so the stuff is not quite as noticeable. Stop with the watery foods and in a day or two, it should be normal. If it's not after a few days, it may be parasites. I personally think it's all the watery food. Hes acting right otherwise, correct?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
wellington said:
It's not going to look solid with all the watery foods. The stringy is the food he is eating, grasses, hays, weeds, etc. My leopard has the same in it, except formed poop, so the stuff is not quite as noticeable. Stop with the watery foods and in a day or two, it should be normal. If it's not after a few days, it may be parasites. I personally think it's all the watery food. Hes acting right otherwise, correct?

That's interesting and I hope someone can answer. I'm not quite sure how digestion works in tortoises. In humans, I don't think consuming a little extra water causes diarrhea, unless something is off, like in osmotic diarrhea. I would think it more likely to have increased urination from too much water intake. Unless it was so much water that it started to cause chemical imbalances, but I don't know if high water content food would cause that. Maybe, anyone know?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Madkins007 said:
Whether watery foods will help constipation or not sort of depends on WHY they are constipated. Dehydration can cause it, and rehydration can help- although I doubt that was the problem here.

Red-footed tortoises (and other omnivorous species) feed too much watery and sweet foods, and/or too little fiber will have loose bowels.

Not seeing feces at all does not mean they are not producing them- this species as well as others often eat their feces for various reasons, and it does not automatically mean they are ill if they do.

Laurie, does this help a little? Because it's not straight water, like out of a faucet, I think is why it can.

Status
Not open for further replies.