I think my tort has some psych issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekTortoiseGuyinNYC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queens, NYC
My tort is stuck on going to a corner of the enclosure and walking into it for hours. He looks like hes trying to get out. But im concerned cause its for hours he will try this. Any suggestions.?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
You may need a bigger enclosure or try rearranging the enclosure and block that corner with something. It sounds like your Tort is bored.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is your tortoise a female or male? One thought would be a female wanting to lay eggs.

Next look at the enclosure it is in. Is it large enough? Are the temps correct at the tortoises level? Can it find cooler and warmer spots as needed? Does it have hides it can escape too? Are their other things to give it a feeling of security, such as plants to hide under, rocks or logs to hide behind? Is it by itself? Is it new or it's enclosure or anything changed in it's little world? Is it healthy in all other ways? For example is it urinating and eliminating wastes regularly?

Just a few things to check out as possible areas of concern.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Is it in a glass enclosure?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have CDTs and they, I believe, are a little OCD :)P) I know that while I can not see what catches their goat and while I do not know exactly what they find interesting (on their level anyways) all of the time....if I see my CDT Herman start obsessing I go and sit for a minute and try and get a view at his level of what has caught his attention...sometimes I can figure it out and other times...I simply fail.

Yesterday Herman knocked in, not on purpose mind you, his little hide he dug into the side of his dirt hill...well that sent him on a pacing fit and with the heat I did an intervention...I had to pick him up and put him in front of his dirt mountain house entry so he would get out of the heat...he can get so "into" something sometimes he loses his mind---and while I am sure he would have eventually made his way to his cool entry I could not stand the thought of heat stroke while he was in "tortoise trance"....so, I am helping him shore up his hide...

Maybe try and sit at his level and you may find what his OCDing is all about...can he see through/over his enclosure wall? Good luck !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.