My Tort keeps trying to get out of enclosure!

SimoneMc

Location (City and/or State)
Lafayette, LA
So, my tort, Vincent keeps trying to scratch out of his enclosure. It's plenty big enough for him, 2 stories actually. He has food, heat, water, hiding spot etc. but he only seems content if he is walking around the house. When he roams free, he finds a nook to just sleep.
He hibernated for 3 months, and I feel he is trying to go back into hibernation. Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210315_162511.jpg
    20210315_162511.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Hello and welcome!
2. Your enclosure is nowhere near big enough. They need a minimum of 4x8'.
3. Torts should never roam loose in the house or yard. They will get lost, injured or dead eventually. It can't be made safe. They need to be in their enclosure. As you've seen, the temperature down on the floor is too cold, and it makes them unable to function properly.
4. Letting them learn there is a great big wide world out there makes them anxious to get to it. It makes them discontent with their enclosure. Leave him in his enclosure, after you make it big enough, and he'll soon accept it.

Here is the correct care info for this species:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So, my tort, Vincent keeps trying to scratch out of his enclosure. It's plenty big enough for him, 2 stories actually. He has food, heat, water, hiding spot etc. but he only seems content if he is walking around the house. When he roams free, he finds a nook to just sleep.
He hibernated for 3 months, and I feel he is trying to go back into hibernation. Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting your tort thru brumation.

We had a thread going yesterday about how torts have excellent memories. I suspect, & others will confirm, that your tort would prefer to "roam" the floor than roam his enclosure. It's not a good idea to let him roam on the floor, especially if you have other pets, i.e., dogs & cats.

There are a lot of sad stories on this site. But welcome to the forum. We love photos!!

SimoneMc

Lafayette, LA
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting your tort thru brumation.

We had a thread going yesterday about how torts have excellent memories. I suspect, & others will confirm, that your tort would prefer to "roam" the floor than roam his enclosure. It's not a good idea to let him roam on the floor, especially if you have other pets, i.e., dogs & cats.

There are a lot of sad stories on this site. But welcome to the forum. We love photos!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Also, there's a Lafayette in LA, one in OR, and one in IN. Could you add the state to your profile? It makes a big difference in advice from LA to OR. Then again, they're both wet all the time! :)

SimoneMc

Lafayette, LA
Thanks for the info. Actually, my cat loves to lay with Vincent.

Attachments

• 20210103_142134.jpg
    20210103_142134.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 20

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks for the info. Actually, my cat loves to lay with Vincent.
No insult intended here. Have you ever watched a cat "play" with a mouse? It is horrifying. A cat with or without claws is one swipe away from blinding your tort. They use their paws to play, to make inquiries, to attack, to feel what they're looking at, to defend themselves, to express their anger, etc. Then there's their teeth, especially when they're angry or afraid.

You can't watch your tort or cat all the time. All of my cats have been rescue cats. One is mostly feral but at 5 lbs., she is formidable in fight mode.

That's a great smile on your tort, but your cat looks to be in stalking mode. Again, I intend no insult. I really, really like your tort's smile.