I think my Hermanns is addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseGeorge

5 Year Member
When i first got my hermanns tortoise i just fed him on dandelion leaves and romanie lettuce and weeds from the garden. But then one day i saw on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk that i could occasionally feed him honeysuckle flowers. So i did. And then after that he started to slow down on what he ate. I gave him regular soaking in luke warm water and i have now finally got him eating again by rubbing the flowers on his food and now he finally eats it. But this is not a long term solution so does anyone have any ideas on how i can weane him off the flowers. Thanks. :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Simple enough solution, stop giving him the flowers. hey can only eat what you provide, A healthy tortoise won't starve itself to death.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he won't eat by just stopping. Then rub one piece of green and put on top of the pile. Next time, make it a smaller piece of green and so on until you don't do it at all.

TortoiseGeorge

5 Year Member
Ok. I am going to try and decrease the amount of food that I rub with the flowers and hopefully he will learn to just not have them. Thanks for your replys :)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Are you sure he's not just slowing down his food intake because the days are getting shorter and he's thinking of hibernation? I have no idea what a Hermann's hibernation is like, but my box turtle always used to slow down around the beginning of September. ???

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
that's how my carl was with stonecrop leaves. The way I fixed this issue was by mincing up his food, and throwing in some stone crop with it. At first, it was about 70/30 stonecrop compared to other stuff, then I slowly got it to wher it was maybe 10/90. Now I can feed him all kinds of things, stonecrop or not. Although if there is something that I know he doesn't particularly enjoy, like his vitamin/calcium supplements or his ZooMed Grassland tortoise food, I will always add in some stonecrop on those occasions because then I know for a fact that he'll eat it anyway.

TortoiseGeorge

5 Year Member
futureleopardtortoise said:
that's how my carl was with stonecrop leaves. The way I fixed this issue was by mincing up his food, and throwing in some stone crop with it. At first, it was about 70/30 stonecrop compared to other stuff, then I slowly got it to wher it was maybe 10/90. Now I can feed him all kinds of things, stonecrop or not. Although if there is something that I know he doesn't particularly enjoy, like his vitamin/calcium supplements or his ZooMed Grassland tortoise food, I will always add in some stonecrop on those occasions because then I know for a fact that he'll eat it anyway.

Yeah this is exactly what I am going to try thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.