I think I'm screwing up their food?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I have two tiny babies, One leopard and one sulcata. They have their own enclosures.
Here is my list I've been feeding pretty much daily.

Endive
Radiccio
Dandelion leaves, two kinds one they call red dandelion and the plain green one (from Fresh Market)
Mustard greens or Kale depends what the store has, sometimes both
Opuntia a few times a week. I was told not to give too much as it is a laxative
Escarole
First time today I added cucumber they have not touched it yet
I have both regular Mazuri and the LS and they get both a couple times a week sprinkled over their food.
Hibiscus leaves and flowers (had the plants a few years now and wintered in the house so a few leaves here and there)

The I realized that many of these things are on the moderate list and should not be fed so much. So what exactly can they eat daily and when they say moderate do they mean once a week, once a month. Gah just when I think I have something figured out :confused:

They are active and eating like little piggies. :tort::<3:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Other than Kale, I don't think any of those are "moderate" feeds, those are my go-to staples and make up most of mine's diet when I can't get other things (other than cucumber b/c I have a Russian so they don't get fruits/veggies).

Megatron's Mom

Other than Kale, I don't think any of those are "moderate" feeds, those are my go-to staples and make up most of mine's diet when I can't get other things (other than cucumber b/c I have a Russian so they don't get fruits/veggies).
Thank you,

Everything other then the dandelion and I think hibiscus came back as moderate. Now that you mention fruit I'm taking out the cucumber. I didn't think it was a fruit and saw it listed as safe in moderation. Off to go look that one up again.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Other people will likely answer better than me, I'm still a novice and my species are different than yours. When you say "come back as moderate" are you using the Tortoise Table app? make sure you go down and read the whole description at the bottom. For example, if you read Radiccio under description its really fine. Same with Endive, etc

Megatron's Mom

Other people will likely answer better than me, I'm still a novice and my species are different than yours. When you say "come back as moderate" are you using the Tortoise Table app? make sure you go down and read the whole description at the bottom. For example, if you read Radiccio under description its really fine. Same with Endive, etc
Yes the tortoise table app. Thanks I will.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you,

Everything other then the dandelion and I think hibiscus came back as moderate. Now that you mention fruit I'm taking out the cucumber. I didn't think it was a fruit and saw it listed as safe in moderation. Off to go look that one up again.
I think the main problem with cucumber is that it doesn't have much nutritional value, and can also have a laxative effect. It could be useful if you needed more fluid in them -Zola( a Hermann's) loves it as a treat.
Angie

Megatron's Mom

I think the main problem with cucumber is that it doesn't have much nutritional value, and can also have a laxative effect. It could be useful if you needed more fluid in them -Zola( a Hermann's) loves it as a treat.
Angie
Thanks, I went to read more about it. I just had a minor stroke thinking I messed up. I tend to read get things then later totally forget everything I read. Just because I thought I finally had it figured out. Just some minor adhd and ocd going on.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
To make yourself feel better, now is the time they are learning what "food" is, so its not bad they learn cucumber is a good thing to eat, so its easier to feed later

zolasmum

5 Year Member
To make yourself feel better, now is the time they are learning what "food" is, so its not bad they learn cucumber is a good thing to eat, so its easier to feed later
Yes,I give Zola his vitamins etc on some cucumber, and he eats every bit !
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two tiny babies, One leopard and one sulcata. They have their own enclosures.
Here is my list I've been feeding pretty much daily.

Endive
Radiccio
Dandelion leaves, two kinds one they call red dandelion and the plain green one (from Fresh Market)
Mustard greens or Kale depends what the store has, sometimes both
Opuntia a few times a week. I was told not to give too much as it is a laxative
Escarole
First time today I added cucumber they have not touched it yet
I have both regular Mazuri and the LS and they get both a couple times a week sprinkled over their food.
Hibiscus leaves and flowers (had the plants a few years now and wintered in the house so a few leaves here and there)

The I realized that many of these things are on the moderate list and should not be fed so much. So what exactly can they eat daily and when they say moderate do they mean once a week, once a month. Gah just when I think I have something figured out :confused:

They are active and eating like little piggies. :tort::<3:
Screwing up??? Heck no! You're doing great! That is a terrific variety.

Once thing that is conspicuously missing is grass. Sulcata should be eating grass, and some leopards too. Until the warmer weather returns and you can grow your own, you can buy those little plots of sprouted wheat grass from Petco or some grocery stores. Just clip off the tops and mix that with the other greens. Keep it watered and in a window sill and you can get 8 or 9 cuttings from it.

Also, as the weather warms, its much better to use weeds, leaves and flowers, and stay away from the grocery store. Mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, mallow, clover, broad or narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, thistle, milk thistle, prickly lettuce, bristly ox tongue, London rocket, wild mustard, filaree, hostas, kudzu, and many many more... I go out with a big bucket and cut all sorts of weeds this time of year. Best food you can feed them and its FREE and free of farming chemicals too.

Megatron's Mom

Screwing up??? Heck no! You're doing great! That is a terrific variety.

Once thing that is conspicuously missing is grass. Sulcata should be eating grass, and some leopards too. Until the warmer weather returns and you can grow your own, you can buy those little plots of sprouted wheat grass from Petco or some grocery stores. Just clip off the tops and mix that with the other greens. Keep it watered and in a window sill and you can get 8 or 9 cuttings from it.

Also, as the weather warms, its much better to use weeds, leaves and flowers, and stay away from the grocery store. Mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, mallow, clover, broad or narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, thistle, milk thistle, prickly lettuce, bristly ox tongue, London rocket, wild mustard, filaree, hostas, kudzu, and many many more... I go out with a big bucket and cut all sorts of weeds this time of year. Best food you can feed them and its FREE and free of farming chemicals too.
Thanks Tom, I forgot to add I did buy a container of cat grass from the pet store. I planted some seeds too. They do get some. I just need the cat grass seeds to grow for me now.

I was really worried because I've been giving them a little of everything.

I can't wait for more weeds to come out. I've I.D.'d a bunch and I even have kudzu that pops up in the yard. I guess I now have a use for it. Good thing I've never been good at getting rid of the weeds. I have everything free and clean back there for them.

Reactions: Tom