I think I know what this is but would like confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bg1979

10 Year Member!
What are these? Both of them

Attachments

• IMG_4338[1].jpg
    IMG_4338[1].jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4982[1].jpg
    IMG_4982[1].jpg
    167 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7519.jpg
    IMG_7519.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 56

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, I thought that you had a bed of wild strawberry with groundsel and wild radish in it, but when I looked at the next two pictures I realize I'm wrong. I don't know what they are...sorry. If the plant in that last picture has yellow flowers that turn into red berries, then yes, it is wild strawberry. And its edible, but I'm not sure about my I.D.

bg1979

10 Year Member!
The last does have a few small yellow flowers that the guys were eating yesterday. I hope someone can id these.Thanks

bg1979

10 Year Member!
Yes I think that is them. So if it is ,the flowers and leaves are safe?? Are they good for their diet?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you indeed have the wild/trailing strawberry plant then yes, it is fine and they will also munch the fruit itself when in season....as long as that is not all they eat :D then even the fruit is fine while it is in season....

I have one CDT that wants nothing to do with the strawberries in his yard but will munch the flower and a leaf once in a while....:D

bg1979

10 Year Member!
I have a huge strawberry farm less than a .25 mile away. If the leaves are good I may ask if I can collect a few

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
cool....just make sure that the farmer does not use insecticides nor herbicides.... :D and all as part of a balanced diet...(kinda sounded like a commercial huh...LOL):p

bg1979

10 Year Member!
I am still very curious as to what the middle pic shows. Any help please let me know

I found this online. It claims its a dandelion

Attachments

• dandelion.jpg
    dandelion.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 29

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think it is dandelion....however when I first looked at the pic you provided Sow Thistle came to mind.....google and look at all the images for Sow Thistle and see what you think? The only thing that made me not say Sow Thistle is that here (california) the leaves are so different than what you are showing in your pic????
:D

EKLC

5 Year Member
the middle one is Asiatic Hawksbeard

YOUJA1.jpg

redbeef

5 Year Member
lactuca pretty much covers a lot of the dandelion looking plants, including 'sow thistle' and regular lettuce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca

one level up to subfamily cichoreae(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichorieae) and you end up w/links to actual dandelion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum) and chicory/endive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cichorium)

the other one does look like an ornamental strawberry. I wouldn't get strawberry leaves from commercial growers if I were you, though: production of the crop is very chemical intensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Evan...I've added the picture to our list of plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
all types of hawsbeard are edible.

Status
Not open for further replies.