I really need help to figure out tank setup for sliders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Hi all! I am trying to research for my getting my 47 gal tank ready for some red eared sliders, and then I can to get all of the equipment for it and get my turtles. Reading through all the past threads on lights and tank setups, the more confused I am feeling. As silly as it sounds, I honestly thought I could just get a light and other equip. from petco/petsmart and then get my new turtles. At Petco they sell a starter tank that includes a light, filter, etc, but I already have an awesome much roomier tank so I figured I could just buy all of the other things on my own. But I am reading through old threads on here about lights and tank set ups and it seems so confusing.... ? Do I need a water heater and also a lamp?? I am confused what kind of lamp to get. I can see that some are bad for their eyes, and I wrote a note of that, but what is the best type that won't kill my electric bill?

Can someone put this into laymonds terms for me?? I have never owned a water turtle before..... :(

Thanks fior your time. :shy:

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
10 gallons per inch of your turtle so i think you should go for somethin bigger (around 60 gallons) for a RES. i know theyre expensive but turtles need lots of space (unfortunatly)

uva/uvb heat lamp, filter, basking area, and mabe some plants if you want em.

also make sure to get a male because the males are way smaller in almost all types of turtle species

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Depending on what size the turtle(s) will be that tank will work for awhile....:D But remember, the bigger of course the better....

You will want a filter that will filter the tank size x 3, so for example if you have a 50 gallon tank you will want a filter that will filter "at least" 150 gallons an hour (but with these dirty little buggers more is always better)

You will need a water heater that is appropriate for the gallon size of your tank.

You will want a basking spot that will allow a place for your turtle(s) to climb out of the water to bask and dry out....

A regular basking light along with a uva/uvb long tube light is a good choice....one that I have used for some time....

The great thing about this species of turtle is that they are very versatile and so you can be very creative as long as you cover their basic needs...:D

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
My friends RES is 12 inches long, eventually you will need something much larger then 47 gallons. You need a MVB to help imitate sunlight, and a tank heater to keep the water at a stable warm temperature. The Mercury Vapor Bulb will also double as a heat lamp, which is nifty. I don't really know much more then what I've seen my friend do, arguably Snappy is beautiful, smooth, and gigantic, so she must be doing something right. If your local weather is permitting a well fenced pond outside through summer is a great idea, Snappy spends all summer outside. They make really interactive pets, Snappy swims right over when you talk to her, or rattle the food container. Good luck :)

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Ok, awesome!! Thanks soooo much you guys!! I think I will use the tank that I have for now, and when they get bigger put them in a larger one. Would it be better to only get one slider because of my tank size? I have read that they never bond and always compete over food. Is that true? Also, out of curiosity, can sliders be in the same enclosure as my dessert tortoise if I were to build a pond in it? Obviously my tort couldn't soak or drink in the same pond because turtles are much dirtier, but I have to force soak my tort anyways. The place we are living in now is a rental, and I can only dig up so much... LOL!!! :)

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
I think that filtration is very important when owning a RES. They can be very messy, so I would recommend getting an external filter to help with the chemical and biological filtration as well as an internal filter to help clean up debris and to circulate the water more. I always feed mine outside of their tank in a basin to help keep the water clean.

About owning 2 turtles- I have two females and they got along for about 10 years and then suddenly one of them became very aggressive towards the other and that was it. I had to separate them and basically buy all of the equipment a second time.

Space/size of tank- I have upgraded the size of the tank many times over the last 12 years, so I would recommend getting the biggest one possible to save you money in the long run.

Another note- If possible try to get a male because the female will at some point become gravid and will need to lay her eggs, which can be tricky (mine lay in the backyard every spring)

Status
Not open for further replies.