I need some help with my Star Tortoise!!!

Bulbasaur

My star tort is about 3 months old and he wont eat anything but lettuce....i ve read somewhere that is it not advisable to feed lettuce to torts...he refuses to eat cucumber or ladyfinger...also i tries making him eat hibiscus leaves but with no luck:(( .....also how often should i soak him in the lukewarm water? since i keep it indoors can i use a soft cotton/woolen cloth as a substrate in its enclosure? please suggest...

Thanks

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well. Where are you located? If your in the United States the best things to feed are readily available at markets. Endive, dandelion greens, mustard greens, cactus, and try to feed as much grass as possible too.

On the enclosure, he's going to need a UVB bulb, shallow water dish, and soil for the substrate. Burlap is definitely not suitable. Can you provide a photo of what he's in now? Do you have access to supplying a UVB bulb, and get some soil or mulch for the substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bulbasaur, and welcome to the Forum!

You can follow the care sheets for leopard tortoises. The care for leopards and stars is very similar.

No to the cotton/wool substrate. You need to use something you can keep moist - like fir bark or coconut coir or even dirt. (but not sand)

He should be soaked daily for 15 or 20 minutes.

There's a list of food in the leopard tortoise care sheet.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Bulbasaur

i think i can manage to get soil/sand as a substrate....but since it is too small right now, i am afraid that the particles would get into his eyes ...I am from India...mine is an Indian star tortoise and i am a complete novice..this is the first ever pet i ve had....i keep him into a wooden enclosure with a metal mesh top when i keep him outside so that he can bask in sun....at night i let him roam indoors on the floor... UVB lamps are not readily available in India :( but there's plenty of sunlight .....thanks for your reply...i ll keep a water bowl for him...

Hello even I live in India like you and I do have a star tortoise. Even I had the same problem in the starting, and then I started feeding it salad leaves. You can buy them from a vendor they are good for it. My tortoise likes it. The leaves are green color.