'Not ask questions like you. I mean let's be honest, what do you do?'

Most people I know though seem to like the idea of torts

I like this one. :D Thumbs up!

"Well what do YOU do?!!!"

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
I tend to reply that many of these species are endangered and keeping and breeding in captivity will ultimately delay their extinction. Some will be ecologically extinct in our lifetime, but it may be our job to educate and help with conservation in some way. You would be amazed at the change in people's awareness when they hear that. I guess I don't see my collection as a group of pets but a commitment to health and sustainability among a colony. If I had just 1 turtle/tortoise, I might see it as a pet.

tignish99

5 Year Member
You guys have amazing, funny answers. I am so glad I became part of this forum. I will definitely use these. Thank you

lkwagner

5 Year Member
My bf and I have been together for almost 5 years and have a place together. He told me I had to choose between him and the tortoises. (I have 3 sulcatas) I chose the tortoises, I don't want to be with someone who doesn't appreciate how I feel about my torts and won't accept the things I like to do. Well, my tortoises are still here and so is he lol but no one besides me and my dad that I personally know actually appreciate it and understand why I have my tortoises. I don't think anyone should care how you spend your money and what you do as long as your happy.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
My friend with the new puppy stopped by today and our torts were out roaming in the back yard. Morticia, my bread-plate-sized, 3-year-old CDT walked up to my friend to investigate and the woman ran away screaming, "Get it away from me!" I explained that Morticia doesn't bite, that she eats grass and weeds and the most she'll do is sniff your shoes out of curiosity. But my friend was apoplectic and insisted the torts be put in their enclosure. Maybe she saw a scary Godzilla movie as a kid? It's hard for me to understand being that afraid of a tiny tortoise.

tignish99

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
My friend with the new puppy stopped by today and our torts were out roaming in the back yard. Morticia, my bread-plate-sized, 3-year-old CDT walked up to my friend to investigate and the woman ran away screaming, "Get it away from me!" I explained that Morticia doesn't bite, that she eats grass and weeds and the most she'll do is sniff your shoes out of curiosity. But my friend was apoplectic and insisted the torts be put in their enclosure. Maybe she saw a scary Godzilla movie as a kid? It's hard for me to understand being that afraid of a tiny tortoise.

LOL! I have had the same reactions from people to my bearded dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.