I need some good answers to an annoying question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
I have been introducing people to my new baby tortoise. People who are animal people and like tortoises like her. People who are not animal people look at her and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "yeah...but what does it do? What do you do with it?" I am really not sure how to answer that question as it seems obvious to me why tortoises make great pets, but I am at a loss for words. Anyone?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have trouble answering that question too. You either like them or you don't. I can't explain it. Maybe you can think of something that the person asking the question really likes that you can't interact with and liken your tortoise to that. Like watching grass grow. :p

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
That is a tricky question. Most members of the general public typically desire a pet that will interact with them: dogs, cats, birds, etc.....even small mammals like ferrets, and hamsters are somewhat engaging to observe. Many of these people simply do not understand the fascination of reptiles of any kind. Personally, I typically do not refer to my herps as "pets" for this reason; I don't consider them companion animals; more like fish that live on land. Just interesting creatures I feed and water...that's about it. Honestly, a tortoise is about as interesting as a rabbit or a guinea pig IMHO, because they're all simple-minded herbivores that eat and sleep (don't see too many rabbits and cavies running around in clear balls or on wheels!).

My typical answer to "what does it do" is: "eat and poop like nearly any other animal does."
Likewise, my answer for " what does one do with a turtle [tortoise]?" is: take care of it like any other animal I own.

Some people like their "pets" to do tricks and cuddle with them, and whatnot. The best response you can give is that this animal fascinates you, and compared to most other animals, they're relatively easy to care for. You enjoy them, and that's all that is important, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"It satisfies my need to nurture???"

tignish99

5 Year Member
I really enjoy the challenge of taking care of an animal where I not only have to feed, water, and care for it, such as a cat, but recreate its whole environment. To me, this is fascinating. I like the little things like watching her yawn and bathe. I like observing her. You are right, it is not something many will appreciate and it is hard to explain.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What does it do? What do you do with it?----

Animals are not on this earth to entertain humans. If we choose to bring an animal into our home, it is not about what does it do to entertain us. It is about how do I take great care of this animal and make him/her as comfortable in my home as I can. So the answer to the question of what does it do is simply, lives a tortoise life. :)

That would be my answer.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My husband would live happily ever after being pet free.
I would live happily ever after on a farm lol.

So, I tell everyone turtles are the perfect "pet" for our family because they are the perfect compromise for our household.
No noises, no odors, no need to socialize, no training, they feed themselves (grazing), no fleas, no pet hair, no potty accidents in the house, no messes, no chewing up things... You get the point.

Keeping turtles and tortoises I get to have my "turtle farm" and it's almost like we are "pet free" so our whole household can live happily ever after all together :D

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

haidao88

5 Year Member
Alrite Heather that wins the best answer lol well for your situation at least, but I enjoy your optimistic view of your husband and your interests.

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Just tell them you're raising them for the TRL (tortoise racing league). :p

n3rdchik

5 Year Member
Michigan
7oasty23 said:
Just tell them you're raising them for the TRL (tortoise racing league). :p

Best answer ever.

I am getting asked a related question. "Why a tortoise?" I have been explaining about the cat & dog allergies... But I am going to start getting bizzare and funny. :p The TRL is going to be used often.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
That's funny -- I was just out to dinner tonight with someone who professed bewilderment about how I could love a tortoise. Mind you, this was after she had spent several minutes complaining about her new puppy going to the bathroom all over the house, barking, biting her and chewing up furniture and belongings. She said she had spent thousands of dollars on training and vet visits and was at her wits end with the little pup.

I told her I enjoy taking care of my sweet, personable tortoises -- that due to their slow pace of living, they have a way of making me pause and notice the simple things, like how the warm sun feels on my face and the cool mist from the sprinkler feels on my feet and how crisp a vegetable from the garden tastes and how exciting the back yard can be if you just pay attention to the birds and the insects and the flowers.

She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "But you can't cuddle it."

Eh, whaddaya gonna do? Different strokes for different folks.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
1) It's so fun to watch tortoises eat! I had some people pet-sit them for us, and by the time we came back from vacation, they always remarked on how intense and animated tortoises become when feeding. Even non-tortoise people seem wowed by it.

2) They're a "technical pet." Tortoises are one of those animals that you have to know what you're doing to help them thrive. You can just stick them in a box, throw in some food, and call it good. You have to understand temperature, humidity, nutrition, and a whole host of factors to really succeed in tortoise husbandry.

3) I like watching them explore their environment. I feel like I can vicariously go an adventure through them! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How I answer such questions depends on my mood. It ranges from honestly trying to explain it, to mild sarcasm, to having fun at their expense, to explaining what a stupid, insensitive and rude question that is. Most everyone has some inane thing that interests them. If I know what it is for that person, I can point out the absurdity of their question by comparing it to their "thing". For example, I could answer their question with, "Well why do YOU collect spoons?" "What do they do?" "Can you cuddle with your spoons?"

What it really boils down to is: I like them. I find them interesting. I enjoy the art of caring for them. I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when I am successful with them.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That question always comes up. Why would you want a reptilian in your house? What do they do? There not like dogs or cats . I don't know why I love them I just do . I like to go to the Zoo and sit and look at the gators and snakes for hours . My wife says they never move and Are boring. But whatever I don't care I love them . And on the plus side I have been keeping snakes and lizards for over 20 years and not one has eaten a shoe,ate my home work or pooped on the floor unlike some dogs I have had. So to the people that don't see why we keep tortoises or snakes I say why not keep them . They don't bark in the night to keep you up they don't poo on your rug and eat your new boots so why a dog hummmmmmmmm?

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Hahaha this is funny. It comes up all the time with my friends. I just say 'she does what she does, what you can't see her chillin?' Haha. I've definitely come to learn that most people think I'm a looney that I've grown to REALLY love a tort but she's my other woman (my cat being my 1st) there's not much to explain to people other than that. They have personalities just like any other animal on the face of the planet. You spend enough time with em, you see it. You fall for the creature and they steal your heart. Just the other day my girl flipped for the first time in 3 years and my mom saw her outside (thank you Lord) and yelled up at me and I came flying down the stairs like no ones business, my heart RACING. I'm not ashamed to say I held her for at least 10mins and talked to her I was just so scared and so happy she was ok.

You can't force people to understand so don't put two thoughts into it. They will or they won't. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I really don't see them as being much different than a cat or dog. I've had lots of animals of all kinds. I really don't see much of a difference aside from my Sheldon doesn't roam the house. Some people do cuddle with their tortoises. It's hard to actually cuddle with all other animals at times too. If I want to cuddle I much rather a man than any other animal anyway, lol.

When asked this question I just ask. "are you serious?" What do you do with your pet? You will get some blank stares even from dog and cat owners. The few who give answers have some odd ones. Thankfully, I find most people have some level of fascination with tortoises.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
I currently teach 5th grade. My students, their families, and the community all know I'm a tortoise guy. They all know them by name and that I love them. I didn't know why until I read the answer of a student's most memorable moment in the yearbook..."Meeting Mr. J's pet tortoises, Carl, Oscar, and the pancakes!"

It just doesn't get better than that. :)

You don't need a solid answer. You love them, so you keep them.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Answer to 'what does it do?':
'Not ask questions like you. I mean let's be honest, what do you do?'

Most people I know though seem to like the idea of torts

Status
Not open for further replies.