I NEED HELP !!!

Jackie-ytd

Location (City and/or State)
Nuneaton
My 7 month old red foot hasn’t opened his one eye since last night he’s eating and drinking fine so I’m just wondering if it’s something that happens and is there’s anything I can do to help !!!!

23C573B7-EB3D-4CBD-ACDD-24C17BEFE762.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try flushing it with sterile saline, then goop on some soothing eye ointment (vetericyn).

zovick

10 Year Member!
My 7 month old red foot hasn’t opened his one eye since last night he’s eating and drinking fine so I’m just wondering if it’s something that happens and is there’s anything I can do to help !!!!

View attachment 312794
Have you been soaking the tortoise daily to keep it hydrated? If not, I would suggest starting to do that straightaway. Also how humid is the environment where you are keeping the tortoise? Redfoot Tortoises like it damp.

What type of lighting are you using? The coil type fluorescent bulbs are known to irritate tortoise's eyes. If you are using one of those, change it to a linear tube fluorescent bulb.

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
Have you been soaking the tortoise daily to keep it hydrated? If not, I would suggest starting to do that straightaway. Also how humid is the environment where you are keeping the tortoise? Redfoot Tortoises like it damp.

What type of lighting are you using? The coil type fluorescent bulbs are known to irritate tortoise's eyes. If you are using one of those, change it to a linear tube fluorescent bulb.
I bathe him every other day in warm water and he has access to a pool he goes in every day. I’m using a linear tube fluorescent tube and his enclosure is very high humidity for him

kirbytherussian

5 Year Member
Could also be an eye infection.., that happened once with my Russian tort. Make sure you’re keeping the substrate clean and moist!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bathe him every other day in warm water and he has access to a pool he goes in every day. I’m using a linear tube fluorescent tube and his enclosure is very high humidity for him
What are your temperatures? Over night low?