I kinda forgot to introduce myself...

YukdaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi! I am a beginner tortoise keeper but I have done a lot of research so I think I can give some advice although I have owned a tortoise before but he died because of "hatchling failure syndrome" I had him for a month, but I still know some stuff from before so if you have questions I will try to answer them!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome - a great forum to get additional information and answers on the unexpected. Depending on your species of tortoise there are great care sheets to read and cross check you have everything to provide a nice environment for your shelled friend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I am a beginner tortoise keeper but I have done a lot of research so I think I can give some advice although I have owned a tortoise before but he died because of "hatchling failure syndrome" I had him for a month, but I still know some stuff from before so if you have questions I will try to answer them!
Hello and welcome.

The problem with research is that most of the info out there on tortoise care is all wrong. You've now found the only place I know of with the correct care info.

HFS is actually caused by the breeder keeping babies too dry, and then telling their buyers to also house them too dry. Here is a thread that explains in more detail:

And here is the correct care info for a sulcata:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Glad to have you with us. I hope you read our threads with an open mind. A lot has changed in tortoise keeping recently and what you read may not be what you previously knew. For example "hatchling failure syndrome" is really a baby dying because he wasn't cared for properly after hatching.