I just ordered my tort

Heybethany19

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So I just ordered a baby sulcata tortoise who will be here tomorrow does anyone have advice for a beginner I’ve read up a lot and am pretty sure I know what I need but I’m just asking so I can do this right

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have the closed chamber enclosure already set up and running. Do tweaking now for temps and humidity before he arrives.
When you get him, give him a 1/2 hour warm water soak right away. Have food in the enclosure, place him in after the soak and leave him alone until the next day.

Heybethany19

Kansas
Have the closed chamber enclosure already set up and running. Do tweaking now for temps and humidity before he arrives.
When you get him, give him a 1/2 hour warm water soak right away. Have food in the enclosure, place him in after the soak and leave him alone until the next day.
Thank you so much! I’ve been so excited for his Arrival I have his enclosed set up should I turn my heat lamp on now? He will be here in the morning

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The heat can go on when the tortoise arrives and you are doing initial soaking in shallow warm water. Place the fresh water and food in the enclosure at the same time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much! I’ve been so excited for his Arrival I have his enclosed set up should I turn my heat lamp on now? He will be here in the morning
Yes, the heat should go on before he arrives so you can check temps and make any adjustments needed beforehand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The heat can go on when the tortoise arrives and you are doing initial soaking in shallow warm water. Place the fresh water and food in the enclosure at the same time.
No, actually the enclosure should be up and running before the tortoise arrives so adjustments can be made before the tort gets placed in it. Not knowing what the temps run at could be deadly to a baby tort. Its easier to make adjustments before the tort is in it.