I just learned I have a Greek, not a Russian...

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
After 2 years of thinking the tortoise I adopted from my local turtle club was a Russian, I just learned from members of this forum that he is a Greek (spur on thigh and 5 toes on front feet). This is very cool for me because it gives me something new to research! As I mentioned in my introduction post, this tortoise was attacked by a large carnivore 3 years ago and was nursed back to health by a club member for a year, after which I adopted him. In July 2013 he weighed 437 grams and was 5" SCL. In April 2015 he weighs 581 grams and is 5 11/16" SCL. I have a few questions:

(1) I am curious about the indented band above the marginal scutes - is that mbd or something else?

(2) I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and he lives 100% of the time free range in my backyard. He has hibernated outdoors the last 2 winters (approximately 5-6 months each time). When I thought he was a Russian I felt that natural hibernation in my climate was appropriate. Now that he is Greek, does that change anything? He seems to be thriving and I kinda feel that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I am interested in expert opinions.

(3) What subspecies do you think he might be? From what I read this can be very tricky to figure out ... But it would be fun to know.

I am including several photos.

Thanks in advance for any input. IMG_0151.JPG WP_20150421_001.jpg WP_20150421_002.jpg WP_20150421_015.jpg WP_20150421_031crop.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The new growth is very dry. I think the indentation you're talking about was caused while he was being rehabbed. He was probably kept indoors without access to sunlight or a good UVB light, and probably kept in very dry conditions.

You can help it, but it won't look any different. The shells stay like they are for the rest of their lives. From here on out you can only influence the new growth. Tortoises dig down into the earth where it is slightly moist or humid, and this helps them to grow a bit smoother.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
He was rehabbed by a long time club member with extensive tortoise experience and after the injury healed he was kept outside in a large pen so I know he had UVB exposure. But as for how much humidity, that I don't know. I will try to improve that from here on out. Any input on the other questions? I value your opinion.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@Hermanni Chris will be able to answer your specific questions. Also check out the Greek tortoise section for his care sheets and other information. It does seem to me like you're doing something right :) he seems to be doing well. Maybe just a little bit more moisture, soaking A couple times a week, and have a water source like a shallow plant saucer available to him. You could also hose down the enclosure once in a while so that it doesn't get so dry.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I will improve on the humidity as you suggest by keeping at least 2 of his favorite hideouts on the damp side. He travels the whole yard and has several favorite areas. He also has 2 soaking dishes, one on each side of the yard, and maybe I will add a 3rd. I will also soak him 2-3 times weekly instead of only once weekly as I have been. This will be my focus this summer. Thank you!

I love Dimitri tracks!WP_20150413_001.jpg

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
He is very handsome, and lucky to have found you! What a nice life for him to be able to live outdoors year round! I have a Greek tortoise too.

Rachel Sobran

he looks kind of like a girl, are you sure he's a boy? girls have short fat tails and boys have long thin tucked-in tails

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
he looks kind of like a girl, are you sure he's a boy? girls have short fat tails and boys have long thin tucked-in tails

That's a pretty darned big tail, Rachel. Male for sure.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
the pic might not show it as clearly as in real life.... It is quite a fat long tail that he keeps tucked along the side. In the plastron pic we are seeing it head on and it does look smaller there I notice.

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I had read that Russian tortoises were more cold-hardy than many. Since i thought my tortoise was a Russian, I let him hibernate in my backyard for the last 2 winters. Now that he has been identified as Greek, I am a little more hesitant for next winter but not yet convinced that I should keep him indoors. I read that the Ibera subspecies can tolerate hibernation better than other Greeks. Do you think he is Ibera?

Nanchantress

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am hoping @HermanniChris will offer his opinion as to subspecies since from what I have read on here he is the main man for testudo identification. I will add a couple pics of Dimitri wetted down if that helps. More pics above. He has 5 toes on the front feet. He seems to be very cold tolerant as he spent the last 2 winters hibernating in my backyard for a 5-6 month period each time (when I thought he was a Russian - oops). Ibera? Buxtoni? Something else? Thanks in advance for any insight. I've looked at a million pictures and can't figure it out...IMG_1620crop.jpg IMG_1621crop.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
He appears to be a T. g. ibera although he seems slightly small. What is his SCL?