I found a female, I think! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
I found a great deal on craigslist today. A full-grown female Russian tortoise, only $50 for her as well as her tank and accessories. She has some pyramiding but doesn't look too severe. At least she seems otherwise healthy. The people I got her from seemed very caring and treated her well overall. Considering they bought her for a 6 year old who is now 12 I was impressed. A lot of tortoises bought for youngins aren't so well kept. She's been living in a 75 gallon tank for the last 6 years indoors so I think she'll enjoy the outdoor habitat me and my boyfriend are going to set up for the tortoises.

I am about 99.9% sure she's a female but wanted to double check with you guys. She is pretty big I haven't gotten about the ruler but she looks about 8 inches pushing 9. I'll have to get better pics in the daylight. So is this a female?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378179478.051280.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378179486.657266.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378179499.691078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
She looks great. Looks female from above. Big girl. She will definitely benefit from sun. Her latest growth appears to be off.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
I was afraid of stressing her out since she peed on me while getting pics lol. She's sleeping so I'll try to get better ones tomorrow in the light.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Looks like a girl to me, so far.

She has very uneven growth, not pyramiding but that's probably from being housed indoors without the best conditions.

I love her size, congrats on the find :)

Sent from my TFOapp

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Another tail pic would help... it's hard to see for sure.

I would say that she doesn't have pyramiding, it looks more like 'stuck scute syndrome' which happens when the basking spot is too hot and the environment is too dry... causing the scutes to 'stick' together at the top, but the rest of the shell grows out more or less normally. She will greatly benefit from real sunlight, and I'd also supplement with powdered calcium for a few months... then switch to just having a cuttlefish bone in her enclosure.

Congrats~

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
thats a female for sure.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

and shes big enough to breed, just throwing that out there.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Ok, I got some good shots of her tail. I'd be shocked if she's male, but I want your opinions please! I saw someone else post what I for sure thought was female but you guys said male, so now I am not as sure lol.

Also as far as her shell can it be repaired? I know pyramiding isn't reversible.

Uggg forgot the pics lolImageUploadedByTortForum1378260827.135350.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378260835.102453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Female.

No her shell won't fix. But letting her live in better conditions will still be good for her and her shell. :)

Sent from my TFOapp

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I would say, most likely a female. :)

The shell won't ever grow normally, but sometimes you can get the scutes to separate with new growth by massaging olive oil or coconut oil into the areas between the 'stuck' scutes. Normally it is not recommended to put anything but water onto a tortoise's shell, but several very knowledgeable tortoise keepers have recommended this treatment for stuck scutes. I did that with my male, and while his shell will never look completely normal, the new growth is now showing up between MOST of the scutes.

cooky_luvs said:
Ok, I got some good shots of her tail. I'd be shocked if she's male, but I want your opinions please! I saw someone else post what I for sure thought was female but you guys said male, so now I am not as sure lol.

Also as far as her shell can it be repaired? I know pyramiding isn't reversible.

Uggg forgot the pics lol

Status
Not open for further replies.