I feel like #@%!

Status
Not open for further replies.

latshki

5 Year Member
Well earlier in the week I awoke to some animal digging in Boris's (my russians) pen and when morning came I went out and found all of his veggies torn up and his hut knocked over, with no boris to be found
he loved it out there and i was going to take him in this weekend
judging from the tracks left it seemed to be two raccoons
and again last night i saw two raccoons just down the road

I feel like poo, I feel like I should have brought him in earlier or set up an electric fence around his pen or something
and I never thought raccoons would come this close with a dog and the pen was right along the house right below my window
I never thought this would happen, I guess I should have prepared more or something

well RIP Boris or if your still out there good luck my friend
you will be greatly greatly missed

thanks guys I just had to vent

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Sorry for your loss. I wouldn't have expected racoons to come so close to the house either. Hang in there, it will get better again.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Life is full of those moments and times we would like to go back and change our actions, unfortunately we can't. Life is a learning lesson and in your case a high price was paid by your tortoise. You can't change that, all you can do is move forward. If you have another tortoise in the future, you will know you need to build him a private Fort Knox. However by publicly coming forward and telling your sad story, you may be the words that will cause another keeper not to pause, not to wait until tomorrow or next weekend to get into action and keep their animal safe.

Raccoons are tricky, smart, and very brave wild creatures with amazing skills, talent, and patience. I myself, sold them short until they started messing with my chickens.

I am sorry for your loss.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
so sorry...
coons attack dogs.. they are not scared by them.
If there is food out, they will come.

Any possibilty that Boris dug down and wasnt found?

latshki

5 Year Member
Laura said:
so sorry...
coons attack dogs.. they are not scared by them.
If there is food out, they will come.

Any possibilty that Boris dug down and wasnt found?

that is still a factor
his pen is big and he is small a 12'x4' pen for a 4" tort
I have been digging but no luck yet
my next pen will have a bird net over it and will be much higher

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hate coons, and I would not sell boris short just yet, did you see any blood or anything like that? he might still be alive, post some flyers around town, once they get out they will zoom away, the coons might have dropped him or something. Not trying to offer false hope but I would just not give up yet, they can surprise you sometimes (russians)

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I'm so sorry, that is just awful! I agree with Jacqui, because you shared your story it may prevent it from happening to someone else. Hang in there. *hugs*

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
motero said:

That won't even slow a racoon down.

Ditto what Motero said. You need hardware cloth or welded wire, 2x4s, stout hinges and latches. If a ten year old child could get in your pen so can a raccoon.

I'm very sorry that this happened to you. I hope others learn from your experience.

latshki

5 Year Member
Tom said:
motero said:

That won't even slow a racoon down.

Ditto what Motero said. You need hardware cloth or welded wire, 2x4s, stout hinges and latches. If a ten year old child could get in your pen so can a raccoon.

I'm very sorry that this happened to you. I hope others learn from your experience.

Thanks Tom
I plan on making a couple lizard pens too so Ill follow the same procedure
how are the BT doin in their cages they hit 6' yet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, their growth has slowed a bit since moving outside permanently. They have all reached 4' solid though. 4' in 9 months is still pretty impressive.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
:( so very sorry for you and Boris~ I suppose all we can do is learn from these sad things and move forward with new knowledge so that our next venture/pet tortoise benefits. I still have some hope though that he is dug down somewhere and maybe they missed him...

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
That sucks, my condolences. :(

I have raccoons in my neighborhood, I have Ivy's outdoor enclosure planned for construction next spring. I'll have to make sure I 'coon-proof' it.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
So sorry to hear this, I two am hopeing he dug down and the coon just got his food. I have to deal with raccoons here two and they are very good at getting in to things. I don't leave mine out at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.