I don't know what to do with Mort. considering changing his name to Pig Penen.

Prairie Mom

I'm not familiar with your tortoise, but it looks to me like he really likes to dig! I wonder if there is a way to provide him with an indoor digging space? hmmm

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I'm not familiar with your tortoise, but it looks to me like he really likes to dig! I wonder if there is a way to provide him with an indoor digging space? hmmm
No, he doesn't dig. He does this by walking back and forth, around n up n down. He has 2 levels, about 40 square feet plus 2 ramps and the landing. He is moving all day long.

phebe121

[QUOT="Jodie, post: 992316, member: 41890"]View attachment 106558 Within 2 hours of giving him fresh water, he fills it with dirt. No matter where I put it, and no matter how many rocks I surround it with. He has two levels, so I don't think it is a space issue. I am at my wits end. I soak him daily since he rarely has water available. I even tried a water dish on each level. He filled them both with dirt.
The picture is his water dish when I got home today. It was clean, full of water and surrounded by rocks this morning. Maybe he is hyperactive.[/QUOTE]

My leopard do this to drives me crazy why do they do this

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What a pretty environment for presents. I can't put pllants in Mort's, aka:pig Pen, enclosure. He directly destroys them. Even in pots. He once pushed an aloe plant, bigger than him, and to hi for him to eat, over next to his hide, climbed on top of his hide and ate the whole thing. Must have taken him all day to push it across the enclosure. Anything smaller and he knocks it over. Someone earlier called him a stinker. I think that works.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Rearranged Morts aka Pig Pens water area this morning. Hoping this will help. Over the last couple of weeks his substrate has all been removed after he put it in his water dish. I switched to entirely coco husk, well except in his hide. I put the water up on a hill with bark ramps.
IMG_20141220_121037.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your problem is that the container for his habitat isn't big enough for him.