I designed a tortoise table!

Sadie Goldman

Hey guys! This is a tortoise table I designed. It's 4 1/2 ft by 2 ft but I might make it longer if I find/make a bigger stand than the one I have. The windows with the bars represents cage wire, its kind of like the opposite of a humid hide because the whole cage is humid. The other windows will have plexiglass and open up. Half of the top opens up too. Now I need to actually build it! Let me know what you think so I can make and changes before I start. Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 6.53.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 6.53.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 6.54.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 6.55.04 PM.png

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
What kind and size of tortoise? I like the design a lot. It is very cute and a good use of space. I would definitely go bigger though. 4X8 if at all possible. I would not leave the openings though. Make that hide area dark and safe.

Sadie Goldman

Its for a sulcata hatching, I can't make it wider but can make it longer, do you know how fast they grow? I'm hoping it will last a few years

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A well started, well cared for sulcata will outgrow a 4x8' enclosure in about 18-24 months.

The vented areas are a neat idea, but that will let all your heat and humidity out.

Sadie Goldman

I thought about that, and actually its hard to see but there will be rubber pieces on the doorway leading to the vented area.
Kind of like this

Attachments

• greenbarn_door.jpg
    greenbarn_door.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 42

swatsx

5 Year Member
Very nice looking and I'm jealous you are getting a sulcata I want one so bad, only thing I would caution you on is the ramp I had a two level table and my Russian would always try to climb the railings and flip over almost daily now I had wood railings so idk if maybe glass or solid wood wall would be better but the rails I had didn't work at all

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd caution as well on the ramp. Not sure how to scale your drawing is, but our sully got very wide, very quickly. Had to constantly increase the width of his hide. So, im wondering how you would accomodate an ever widening sully. Your ramp will easily take over the enclosure. Sullys get big quickly. As others said, you will need a wall on the ramp, or your sully will roll over onto his back.

Also, dont forget you will need to hang a CHE, an incandescent bulb, and/or another bulb for UVA/UVB. The drawing doesnt depict those. You will want to ensure the enclosure is tall enough to accomodate those and permit enough room between the bulbs lowest height and torts shell.

Last edited:

W Shaw

Very nice looking and I'm jealous you are getting a sulcata I want one so bad, only thing I would caution you on is the ramp I had a two level table and my Russian would always try to climb the railings and flip over almost daily now I had wood railings so idk if maybe glass or solid wood wall would be better but the rails I had didn't work at all

I'm working on designing a new enclosure for my Russian. I want two levels, so it takes up less floor space, but I'm scared of him falling from ramps, because he's a rescue with some limb deformity from early neglect. I was thinking about a fully enclosed tunnel, with fencing on the top so it's not dark.

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
I really like your design. I don't think the little hide on the top floor will be necessary. More likely that area will be a good basking area. Perhaps with a circular hole cut out to place a ceramic heat bulb from the top. I also agree with Maro2Bear s observation. Don't forget to leave the room for the much needed UVA/UVB light.
I keep my young Sulcata & Leopard, hatchlings in a very similar set up within a 46"x16" tank. The light is attached to the underside of the screen top, reinforced.
My daughters hatchling outgrew that enclosure at one year. Hers is now in a water land tub that's 24"x60". Hoping to get another year out of that before moving her fast growing Sulcata outdoors.
I noticed that it does look like you intend to have a low wall railing on the ramp, I would suggest making that at least 8" wide, then you should be able to use it for a couple of years. I'm Happy for you! Awesome design?

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Great design work. Keep us posted on any change's you decide to make. Look forward to seeing the result! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's very impressive, however, and I hate to shoot you down, but...sulcatas grow so fast that a 2x4 habitat will soon be too small. I hate to see you put so much work into making the habitat only to have him outgrow it in less than a year. Take my advice and buy a large plastic tub. Or even two and put them together to make one big one. Cheap and easy. And not so expensive when he outgrows it. Take a look at how fast this sulcata is growing:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ing-sunshine-lunch.94300/page-11#post-1253988

Sadie Goldman

Thanks for the advice everyone! The whole thing is to scale. The ramp is 6in wide and the railing was 2in tall, which I've changed to 3in. I figure the width is fine for now as she's only about 2 1/2 inches wide. My mercury bulb will ft in the hole shown at the top of the cage. The whole thing is 18" tall so that leaves at least 14" from the light to the ground. I've actually adjusted it to make it 6ft long now, I'll attach the pic. My tortoise(Bindi) is 8 months old but only 3 inches long and 94 grams, so do tortoises that start out growing slowly continue to or will her growth speed up? Or maybe its just not predictable. Thanks everyone for helping :)Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 10.51.33 PM.png

Alaskamike

South Florida
Nice. Work. You obviously have put great effort & thought into this. On growth , impossible to know growth rates. Like kids , they have spurts. But by 3 yrs, most Sulcatas could not live on a tortoise table. My 4 yr old went from 2.3lbs a yr ago to 9.5 lbs today.

I think your overall design will work great for as long as it works. Lol.
Good fortune with your build and your baby :)