I can't believe this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
So, last summer I had a large cement mixing tub set up with three baby turtles in it, a Northern Redbelly, a Three Lined musk and a Southern painted.

About the time I was bringing them in for the winter, the Southern disappeared. There are two little girls that live behind us that I call the "Monster Twins" and I suspected that they had something to do with it. They are the reason that we are building locking enclosures for my hatcling tortoises.

Well, I don't exactly owe them an apology, since they have come over helped themselves to my daughter's bike and several other things since then, but the little Southern showed up! I can't get over it...

I have the stream and waterfall and shallow pond in my Redfoot enclosure, right? Well, a month or so ago, I shortened the stream and re-built the waterfall and did a bunch of other upgrades in the enclosure. Today, I am standing there watching the Redfoots mosey around, and a flash of color catches my eye - by goodness if that little stinking turtle wasn't swimming around in the pond!

Now how it got out of the cement mixing tub is beyond me. It had to have had some sort of help, so the Monster Twins are not completely exonerated. But the fact that it hibernated, survived, and set up shop in my Redfoot pond is something else! I think he deserves a special pond of his own ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sad to say but most parents now a days don't teach their kids about personal property, I would imagine they had a hand in it. That is why I am paranoid about telling my neighbors about any of my turtles and tortoises.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That's awesome! Glad the little guy turned up. He deserves his own pond and he deserves to have his picture taken and posted up for us too!

Ditto - My neighbours don't know about our critters too. They are fine not knowing and everything is perfect. I don't need a reason to scare or **** of the neighbours, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Amazing how things work out sometimes. Glad you got it back safe and sound.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow Kristina...what a story. Someone must have taken that baby out of his tub, and maybe put him into the RF pond. Ok....some pictures please!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's small enough, a bird might have done it. I have found baby box turtles on my property before...in places where they couldn't have gotten without help.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We have that issue, we have bad kids living on both sides of us and the parents let the kids do what ever they want and we are constantly finding things they throw over the fence and into Vegas's enclosure.

I am happy the turtle found his was back and is safe...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I guess I am lucky. I moved into an older neigborhood, so no small kids around. I am glad you found him...and yes he deserves his own pond.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
dalano73 said:
We have that issue, we have bad kids living on both sides of us and the parents let the kids do what ever they want and we are constantly finding things they throw over the fence and into Vegas's enclosure.

I am happy the turtle found his was back and is safe...

Funny... when I was growing up my siblings and I always had our stuff thrown over the fence. Sometimes intentional, most times by accident. The neighbour got fed up and instead of throwing them back over he kept them and put them at the end of the road on garbage day. We thought he was such a _____ for doing this - but realistically I would do the exact same thing today.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Personally, I like hot wire. It's for potential raccoons, but.......
Well I left it on when my brother and his 2 sons came to visit(NOT on purpose) and let me tell you, the little 4 yr old will NOT be going anywhere near the tort pen for quite some time!!
NAy

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, that is funny Nay.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to have any sort of fencing that totally encloses the yard. However, we should be moving soon, and then there will DEFINITELY be privacy fencing in place.

I'll get some pics of the little bugger up soon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.