I can be so stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am so upset. I have become so forgetful since I had my surgeries 3 years ago.
Yesterday, even tho it was chilly (in the 50's) it was sunny. So I put my big Sulcata out in his corral to do some grazing while I went to town to do a couple of errands. It took longer than expected. We were rushing to get stuff put away so we could get to my granddaughter's basketball game. When we got home I never gave it a thought. It was down to the high teens last night. I finally remembered he was out when I was on my way home from work at 2:30 this afternoon. It was in the low 40's all day...much colder than usual for here. I ran crying for my husband to go get him cause I was too scared.
He is alive. I put him in a tub of warm water & kept changing the water to keep it warm. He is pulling his head in when I touch his head, but hasn't moved otherwise. I have him in his table with his heat light on him. I am soooo upset.

He was a rescue from a couple years ago. He is still a bit underweight but is healthy. Fecal last month was clean.

Please tell me his is probably going to be OK.
Patsy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Was he in a hide or shed? or just out in the open?

I have to tell you it doesn't look good :( I'm so sorry to have to say that. He's probably sustained quite a bit of damage to his soft tissues (especially his eyes) :(

Danny

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the little guy will pull through.
Keep us posted!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He was in his Dogloo doghouse, but I hadn't turned the light on cause I wasn't planning on leaving him out there very long. There was some hay in there but not enough to bury himself in. He opened his eyes while I was soaking him. But he was still kind of squinting.
He still hasn't moved from where I placed him under his lights, but he seldom does once he is settled for the night.
I still can't believe I did that. I am always so careful with my animals.
Patsy

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Patsy, I will think only good thoughts for your guy. Life is so hectic sometimes and you just can't be expected to do it all. Plus we always take on more than we should and our poor little guys sometimes take the brunt. I have heard of many circumstances when things don't look good and then a turn around makes things OK. Don't beat yourself up and stay positive.
Take care Nay

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Leave the lights off to reduce the stress. Keep him warm and offer sugary treats that he likes to give him some energy. Agave nectar is a great replacement for pancake syrup and can be put on some of his pet food. I've used it for birds. Mind you, you are not trying to get him to race around the block just stay awake to warm up and drink and eat.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Patsy, So sorry to hear about this. I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer. Keep us posted. {HUGS}

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
I know what it's like :/ My little one, Frankie was left out overnight one time. It was cold and pouring rain. He was roaming outside in his closed in area and I came back a few min later to check on him and he was gone. (He was 2 years old then).
I looked all over my backyard, no sign of franklin. I couldnt sleep and didnt go to work the next day. After a horrible rain storm, I went outside the next day and frank was sitting right next to his outdoor enclosure, I was so happy yet scared at the same time.

He was alright, he did put his head in his shell a little after I did that, probably just because he was afraid or something, I don't know. He also stopped eating for a few days, but everything got better.
All I can say is I know where you're coming from , and everything will be okay, Franklin is living proof!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you so much for everyone's kind thoughts. Please, please, do keep praying. I know it will be a few days at least before I know if he is going to pull thru.
Patsy

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yes Patsy keep us updated we will be watching out for more posts on him. Good luck to you and him.

M

Maggie Cummings

Keep us informed and keep him warm. We have all done something like that...Please don't feel too bad...

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
It happens to even the best of us. We can't all be perfect. We're all here for you hoping he makes it through!

chadk

10 Year Member!
My thoughts and prayers go out as well. I have a good feeling. If the dogloo was able to provide any insulation and was on a south facing side to get morning sun and hold ground temps longer - that would be good. If the day temps were also below freezing, I'd be really worried.

Has it moved at all yet? Walking around?

In the future, maybe diging a hole into the ground to create a natural burrow that could provide better insulation and just a place to dig and have some fun and exercise. Not that you would forget again, but just in case...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A few minutes ago I heard him moving around & went to check on him. He had moved to his favorite sleeping corner. At least it provides me with a glimmer of hope.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts.That means a lot to me.
Patsy

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I hope he heals and is back to his old self soon. Do you have any pictures of him in this condition? I know its terrible, but I document everything with my animals, good and bad.

He's in my thoughts. I hope everything will be OK. Sullys are tough. Hopefully he's resilient enough that it won't even scratch him.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...When I got home at 2:30 today, Sandy had eaten all the greens I put in for him this morning. My husband said he heard him walking around in his table several times today. I am feeling better about his being OK. I have rubbed his butt and apologized to him several times. I know one thing...it won't ever happen again with anybody!!
Thanks again for all your prayers and thoughts for him & me.
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't be so hard on yourself. I don't like the title of this thread. In my opinion, our brains are computers. When we are constantly telling ourselves, "How can you be so stupid?" "I am a jerk." "I don't have the brains God gave a goose." We are programming ourselves to be that way. You weren't at all stupid. It was just a terrible thing that happened. Thank goodness he's ok. I think they're a little hardier than we give them credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.