I came upon this video...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Has he had the larger star for 1.5 years? If so, judging by its growth, maybe he does not need educating. I do not like the substrate due to the possibility that they might eat it, but the diet is okay and there appears to be some reflected light. If in a tropical country, the humidity and temperature may be fine. I may have glossed over it, but I would have a little pond or soaking pool for them to have access to. Also, some edible plants growing within. Still, that is more of something I would like than something I would necessarily mandate. Eventually, they will need larger accommodations, but that is eventually. There is probably more to the total care than what one video shows.

Looks like that was two years ago, too. How are they now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TBtEtGkdCk

That is from a year ago or so.

The only thing I do not like about his results is that I believe the sulcata to be largely underfed and underwatered. it needs much more nutritional substrate than what it seems to get in order to grow at a reasonable rate for the species. The rest are okay in terms of rate and quality.

Yeah, checked another video. They do have a shallow water dish.

So my only complaint is lack of food for the sulcata. The leopard could likely use more, too, but it is not as apparent.

Penn

5 Year Member
My complaint is he's mixing 4 species in one enclosure. If you say the video is a year old I hope they have since separated them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Penn said:
My complaint is he's mixing 4 species in one enclosure. If you say the video is a year old I hope they have since separated them.

I am saying that it appears to have worked out for him in terms of the mixing, as his animals are all growing well with the exception of the sulcata, arguably (perhaps) the least sensitive species present, which I believe is due to diet. It looks like they were all CB babies, too, which can improve chances. Mind you, I think the sensitivity of stars is exaggerated when talking about CB animals, but if I compare their vigor with that of sulcatas, I usually higher "performance" from sulcatas than most other species.

I do not hope he has separated them and do not hope that he has not, but I do hope he has given them larger quarters and has increased the available food (especially for the sulcata), as his climate seems wonderful for them and his children seem like they benefit from having them around.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This sort of placement of tortoises with mixed species is rather common in foreign countries. Asian countries to be precise. It happens a lot over there.

Penn

5 Year Member
From what I read on here and other places mixing species is a no no but you know a lot more than me and if you say it's ok then it's ok. Thanks for your time, I learn new things here all the time.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Penn said:
From what I read on here and other places mixing species is a no no but you know a lot more than me and if you say it's ok then it's ok. Thanks for your time, I learn new things here all the time.

It does happen quite often. That sort of topic could go on and on in a debate. I certainly wont start it. But can validate both sides of the argument that could take place in that respective category.

Penn

5 Year Member
I see what you mean and totally understand. Thank you.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Penn said:

I would say that a great many times, it is done in a careless way and that this is more likely to have poor results.

When done in a more careful way, it is less likely to have poor results.

Less dichotomous. More of a continuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.