I basically feed my tortoise kale and zucchini (a couple times a week)

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
so yeah, i basically feed 8 month leopard old tortoise mostly kale. i also give her zucchini a couple times a week because she LOVES it! i was wondering if this is a terrible diet, i know they're supposed to eat weeds and grasses and to get her to eat them i have to chop them up very finely and mix them in with the kale. Yet she'll still just pick the kale out. Now is this just a terrible diet and should I be switching to mostly weeds or ? and i also have a question concerning mvb bulbs at night. I have mine set on a timer in a closed chamber tortoise table, it is so difficult to control the temps. Some points in the night it will be 80 which i know is good and ok, but at other times it reaches 104 degrees!! im wondering how you all keep a steady temp at night and what it is. Please write back, anything is greatly appreciated!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Your bulb should only be on during the day. Get a CHE, ceramic heat emitter, and put it on a thermostat for night.
Yes that is a bad diet. Variety is key to health. Weeds and grasses should be the majority of the diet. Mix it in, and slowly reduce the amount of kale in the mix.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Your bulb should only be on during the day. Get a CHE, ceramic heat emitter, and put it on a thermostat for night.
Yes that is a bad diet. Variety is key to health. Weeds and grasses should be the majority of the diet. Mix it in, and slowly reduce the amount of kale in the mix.
Ok that sounds good, slowly weaning her off the kale. And in my initial post i meant to put CHE as the nighttime heat bulb. I do use an MVB bulb during the day, it is on for 12 hours and then shuts off as the CHE comes on. ANy advice on maintaining a constant temperature??

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
so yeah, i basically feed 8 month leopard old tortoise mostly kale. i also give her zucchini a couple times a week because she LOVES it! i was wondering if this is a terrible diet, i know they're supposed to eat weeds and grasses and to get her to eat them i have to chop them up very finely and mix them in with the kale. Yet she'll still just pick the kale out. Now is this just a terrible diet and should I be switching to mostly weeds or ? and i also have a question concerning mvb bulbs at night. I have mine set on a timer in a closed chamber tortoise table, it is so difficult to control the temps. Some points in the night it will be 80 which i know is good and ok, but at other times it reaches 104 degrees!! im wondering how you all keep a steady temp at night and what it is. Please write back, anything is greatly appreciated!
MVB is supposed to be CHE. My mistake.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Ok that sounds good, slowly weaning her off the kale. And in my initial post i meant to put CHE as the nighttime heat bulb. I do use an MVB bulb during the day, it is on for 12 hours and then shuts off as the CHE comes on. ANy advice on maintaining a constant temperature??
And also, I can see that you have some leopard torts, who are very cute by the way. What types of grasses do you feed them??

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The daytime MVB on a timer is fine.

The nighttime CHE should be on a thermostat. That's how we maintain the temps. It will turn on/off as needed, nothing needed from you. If you set the thermostat to 80, when the temps drop to 79, the CHE turns on. Once temps hit 81, the CHE turns off (more or less..mine has a 2° window).

No single green is going to be a good enough diet. Same thing with us. Carrots are great...But only carrots and I'll be missing lots of other needed nutrients.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
The daytime MVB on a timer is fine.

The nighttime CHE should be on a thermostat. That's how we maintain the temps. It will turn on/off as needed, nothing needed from you. If you set the thermostat to 80, when the temps drop to 79, the CHE turns on. Once temps hit 81, the CHE turns off (more or less..mine has a 2° window).

No single green is going to be a good enough diet. Same thing with us. Carrots are great...But only carrots and I'll be missing lots of other needed nutrients.
wow. that just slipped my mind about buying a thermostat. Thank you for your advice! i was extremely worried, and ill be sure to fix her diet so shes a happy healthy tort. Where did you buy your thermostat and what brand, if you just remember off the top of your head?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read these. All of this is explained in detail in them. If you are missing these basic heating and lighting details, I worry that you might have also missed other important details too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Skip all the sulcata and grass info here and just skip to the list for a bunch of good foods for a leopard:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

If you must use grocery store foods, mix it up a bit. Kale is okay once in a while, but not daily. Favor endive, escarole and spring mix most heavily. Also try cilantro, carrot tops, squash leaves and blossoms, water cress, collard, mustard and turnip greens, etc…

Here are a couple thermostats:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
to try and illustrate I use this analogy. you offer a kid a plate of chocolate and one of broccoli the kids scarf down the chocolate leaving the broccoli. everyday eats chocolate leaving broccoliyouyou can sit there and say he loves to chocolate that'why i give it to themjust because they love to eat it doesn't mean it's good I love ding dongs. And chocolate milk you know you're the owner you need to be responsible for their diet now I think it's time for some ding dongs and chocolate milk :)

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I use the digital thermostat from hydrofarm, Tom linked to it.
I looked at every home improvement store and pet store and they didn't even remotely come close to what i was looking for. Petsmart didn't even have thermostats...... so hydrofarm it is! thanks for your help!!