Hydroballs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY, USA
I was wondering if any of you have used hydroballs to help boost humidity levels in your redfoot enclosures? For the time being I am going to be housing mine in a 40 gallon reptile tank with a screen lid (until space/money allow me to build something larger and have a summer outdoor enclosure). I live in upstate NY, so during the cold months (esp. with my electric heat) humidity will be an issue.... I was thinking of putting a layer of hydroballs in water beneath the substrate, which I plan to use a mix of repti-bark and forest floor cypress bedding. I will have an undertank heater, which I was hoping would keep the water layer warm enough to boost the humidity level in the habitat. Thoughts on this??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry never heard of hydroballs, I use misting my plants and a water dish by the heat source

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
Hydroballs are a type of expanded clay substrate that you can add water to and create an underground water table in the habitat. You put mesh over top of them, and then add the regular substrate on top of the mesh. Also, what kind of plants do you recommend? Native or from greenhouses (Lowe's, etc)?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hydroballs are an expensive form of things like lava rock, pebbles, etc. In my habitat, I just use cypress mulch all the way down and a cable heater to get enough humidity that the walls are usually fogged over.

Plants- I use cheap and reasonably safe. I prefer tropicals that can tolerate the light, heat, and humidity.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it! Your site is great, btw, I am just a bit overwhelmed with all of the info at this point and want to make sure I have everything setup properly before adding the actual tortoise!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Hydroton = expanded clay. Ive never used them the way your talking about, don't see why it wouldn't work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeremy:

Welcome to the forum!!

I just read your bio. You are going to be a welcome addition to our forum. I'd love to see some pictures of your plant collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.