hybernating russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

tandrreptiles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Do you have to hybernate russian tortoises i live in fl and i just got 2 russians and i was going to keep them outside year round and someone told me you can still breed them successfully without hybernation.

Thanks, Ryan

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I do not hibernate any of my Russians and I have the sweetest little hatchling, so no you do not HAVE to hibernate them.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Jacqui ~

Is there a link you can post to show us your lil' cutie?

I thought that once they were full grown, it was natural to let them hibernate; just not if they are little or sickly? Guess I'm wrong! Thanx for the clarification ~

Enjoy the day,
Purpod

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's pretty much a matter of choice.

I had decided last year, after talking to a local Russian breeder who is moving away from hibernating hers, to only hibernate any Russian who really acted like they were wanting to hibernate. Only one of them even really slowed down and she started eating about a week before what I had decided would be the cut off time to start her hibernation.

I do hibernate my box turtles, REs and paints.

As for the picture, I need to take some more. I had downloaded about 250 pictures on the home computer, when I was there thinking I could then place them into photobook as I had time on the road (and then post some in here). Learned that doesn't work. :D Before I got home, my daughter decided to solve a possible virus problem with the home computer by totally wiping it and starting over. Of course all my pictures were also wiped cleaned. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.