Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
I have been battling keeping the humidity up in Petrie's enclosure and still can't get it right. I have added a lid over the whole thing except where the lights are. I soak the coir substrate and was still around like 40%.

I read a few posts about using a warm air humidifier so last night I rigged one up to go through a tube into his enclosure. It worked some but most of the humid air just came out by the lights. I have seen other peoples pictures of clouds of humid air and there torts loving it. What am I doing wrong here? I really need some help getting the humidity up to the correct level.

Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why I prefer, and have now switched to closed chambers for babies. There is just no way to humidify an open table in a typical dry American home. The only way I was able to do it at all was to humidify the whole entire room to 50-60% and then cover most of the tops of my enclosure as you have done. I was putting gallons of water into the air every day to maintain that. In a closed chamber, I can leave things relatively dry and still have good humidity.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I have a lid completely covering my torts enclosure except for a hole in the center cut for the Che and a whole over by the corner for the light. I use aluminum foil to fill in the cracks so moisture stays in. It works pretty good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's a sulcata. I also have a humidifier piped in and my enclosure covered. Holes cut for lite and heat. I also cover any open space with tinfoil. Works good, try it.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Can get my 40 gallon up to 90 percent, but i keep mine at 50-60 ish.
I spray my whole enclosure with a water squirt gun, even my tortoise, i have a mvb 125 watt & heat.
I Cover the top with cardboard and leave a big enough circle hole for my Dome light, and leave an inch cut out all around so
the cardboard doesnt catch on fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.