Humidity

kaycov

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lexington
Can anyone tell me how long the inside pen should be misted/fogged? My boys (?) are about two years old now and spend nights inside in their pen and warm/humid days in their outside enclosure. I have been using a fogger since I got them and just threw out the third which was a piece of junk anyway. Do I need to get another or can I just spray them and the substrate with a hand mister? thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only your hygrometer can answer this question.

What species and what size are they? Age doesn't tell us much since they are grow at such different rates.

What size and type enclosure?

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
So sorry - 2 years old (one is 9 inches, the other 7 inches) Red Foots. I've had humidifiers in their inside pen since hatchlings. When they were small, they were in a tank with a plexiglass top and had very high humidity. As they have grown (a lot), they are in an open pen inside with coconut coir substrate, two hides, heat lamp, UVB lamp. Outside, they are in an 8' X 10" pen I had made. There are two large hides in that, and 1/4 of the pen has coir - the other 3/4 is grass, plants, little pond, etc. They are soaked every, single night for at least 30 minutes. I am on my fifth humidifier, and the new one that came today wouldn't even turn on. Shall I try again, or are they okay with just misting and having a humid hide outside in the hot weather?