Humidity ?

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
Trying to get a closed enclosure set up so I can get a Sulcata hatchling soon. I have it pretty well sealed up. Temps seem to hold in the 85 F range. Just 65w flood. Still playing with basking temps, I think a little high at 105-107.
I have about 3" of Fir bark. Humidity seems to hold around 75%....Climbs a little when the flood light goes off. Do i just need to add more water to bring the humidity up ? I don't want a swimming pool....LOL.
Thanks for any help

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I like cypress mulch, as it holds humidity well. I dump 32oz of water twice per week onto the mulch. I do make sure to move the mulch around after adding water, so it’s not sitting stagnant on the bottom of the enclosure. I can maintain 80-85% humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Trying to get a closed enclosure set up so I can get a Sulcata hatchling soon. I have it pretty well sealed up. Temps seem to hold in the 85 F range. Just 65w flood. Still playing with basking temps, I think a little high at 105-107.
I have about 3" of Fir bark. Humidity seems to hold around 75%....Climbs a little when the flood light goes off. Do i just need to add more water to bring the humidity up ? I don't want a swimming pool....LOL.
Thanks for any help
You can maintain 80+% humidity with bone dry substrate and a water bowl in a closed chamber. Adding water is not your issue. Reducing ventilation will solve your problem.

105-107 at the end of the day when ambient temp has risen up to the low 90s is normal and fine if the basking temp is closer to 95 when the lamp kicks on in the morning and ambient temp is close to 80. You can try a lower wattage bulb, but since you are right on the edge, it might end up being too low. Using a rheostat might help too. It will allow you to dial it down just a little bit.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
You can maintain 80+% humidity with bone dry substrate and a water bowl in a closed chamber. Adding water is not your issue. Reducing ventilation will solve your problem.

105-107 at the end of the day when ambient temp has risen up to the low 90s is normal and fine if the basking temp is closer to 95 when the lamp kicks on in the morning and ambient temp is close to 80. You can try a lower wattage bulb, but since you are right on the edge, it might end up being too low. Using a rheostat might help too. It will allow you to dial it down just a little bit.
I need to try the water bowl.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need to try the water bowl.
I learned it with this snake cage:
IMG_7939.JPG

You can see the humidity and temp gauge on the back wall. The substrate (recommended by the breeder) is dry Sani-Chips which is a small particle size type of aspen bedding. That water bowl in the pic, and a humid hide is all that is in there to give off moisture.

Here is a pic of the humid hide on the left side of the enclosure:
IMG_8588.JPG

And that is my unicolor cribo. My favorite snake of all time!