Humidity?

PiL71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I have a 5+/- year old Russian, what humidity should I maintain, and also what should the substrate be like, wet, damp, arid or bone dry?
Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The older Russians (like yours is) don't require all the humidity you hear us talking about on the Forum. The high humidity is for growing babies. Your almost full grown Russian can get by with just a spritzing of water over the substrate daily to keep the dust down.

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The older Russians (like yours is) don't require all the humidity you hear us talking about on the Forum. The high humidity is for growing babies. Your almost full grown Russian can get by with just a spritzing of water over the substrate daily to keep the dust down.

Oh ok, but my next question is what the percentage for the humidity should be? I just changed his substrate, so it’s hovering at around 55%. Is that too high, or too low, or fine?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh ok, but my next question is what the percentage for the humidity should be? I just changed his substrate, so it’s hovering at around 55%. Is that too high, or too low, or fine?

That’s fine :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't measure humidity. Here at my tortoise farm, it is what it is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 5+/- year old Russian, what humidity should I maintain, and also what should the substrate be like, wet, damp, arid or bone dry?
Thanks!!
Damp substrate and 50-70% humidity suits them well, but as Yvonne said, it doesn't matter as much for adults. Soak your tortoise once or twice a week in warm water and always have a large shallow bowl available, and things should be fine.