Status
Not open for further replies.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hello fellow turtle lovers! How long do you keep the babies in a high humidity environment? At what age, if any do you put them into the normal humidity? Being in AZ there is really no humidity here...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As soon as they are hatched, they should be placed in the higher humidity. Do this by a closed enclosure or similar. Check out the threads below to learn more on how to do this and what the temps and humidity should be. Keep them in a higher humidity until they are approx. 8 inches. Most important in their first couple years.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
It really depends on the species. I have been told different things by different people, but I don't keep my hermann's hatchling in a particularly humid environment. It gets misted down twice a day, and the warmest part of his habitat (the basking spot/hide) is constantly kept humid.

I think sulcata and leopard hatchlings require more humidity than that but Carl seems to do very well with this humidity.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thanks! :) my babies Sulcatas are almost 18 months but pretty small, so hopefully with the high humidity they will catch up :)

imranuddin93

5 Year Member
CourtneyAndCarl said:
It really depends on the species. I have been told different things by different people, but I don't keep my hermann's hatchling in a particularly humid environment. It gets misted down twice a day, and the warmest part of his habitat (the basking spot/hide) is constantly kept humid.

I think sulcata and leopard hatchlings require more humidity than that but Carl seems to do very well with this humidity.

What is your humidity % with your method of misting them down 2x a day? And is this in an open enclosure? Also could you clarify what you mean by keeping it constantly humid? Sorry, just asking a whole bunch of questions because I'm a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.