Humidity question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

avelovestorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am having trouble keeping moisture in my tort's enclosure.. Several times a day, I heavily spray down the whole enclosure, and within 30 minutes it is completely dried out. I have a plastic rubbermaid lid on top covering as much as possible up until the lights. I know how important humidity and moisture is to torts, so I need some help.
Thanks!
(I use coconut fiber substrate)

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
avelovestorts said:
I am having trouble keeping moisture in my tort's enclosure.. Several times a day, I heavily spray down the whole enclosure, and within 30 minutes it is completely dried out. I have a plastic rubbermaid lid on top covering as much as possible up until the lights. I know how important humidity and moisture is to torts, so I need some help.
Thanks!
(I use coconut fiber substrate)

I was having similar trouble for a while and then I decided to use tinfoil around the lighting fixtures to nearly completely close the top of the enclosure and then It was easy to maintain the humidity. It’s pretty amazing how much humidity can slip through a few little cracks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, use the whole top. Cut holes for the lights/heat and line the rim of the hole with Tin foil. The tin foil is to prevent the plastic lid from melting. Also, if its a high humidity tort, I don't know what kind you have, pour water in the coir. It usually sinks to the bottom. Then mix it up to bring some of the moist coir to the top. If all else fails, add a humidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.