Humidity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I've been reading many care sheets on pancakes and see most say they need to be kept dry, but can't seem to find a clear number. What percent humidity should they be kept at?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Cherbear said:
I've been reading many care sheets on pancakes and see most say they need to be kept dry, but can't seem to find a clear number. What percent humidity should they be kept at?

i have pancakes and soak them twice a week . i dont know about humidity. so one will be long to answer your question, i'm sure. do you have any now? lindy

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My Pancake tortoises are kept in the same room as my Mediterraneans where the humidity averages 50-65%24/7. Ambient temperatures within the room average are in the mid to high 70's, occasionally reaching the low 80's during the daytime. At night all lights and heat sources are off and the temperatures are usually in the low to mid 60's. I spray the Pancakes enclosure lightly twice a day and allow them to soak once or twice a week.

I've never believed that Pancake tortoises should be kept in a dry environment. While their wild habitat may be typically hot and dry on the surface, Pancakes rarely spend much time on the surface exposed to the elements (and predators) for any length of time. They spend the majority of their time in hiding, in shaded rock crevices where it's cooler and easier to retain hydration. Any moisture from rain, dew or other sources would remain longer in those cool, shaded crevices than within the heat and sun exposed soil around them.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you. No matter how much you read, it's nice to hear from people that own them. I have one male that I bought from a show a couple weeks ago. He sure does like to hide but he is so cute. I'll have to take some pics of him and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.