Humidity problem

Yesisepictorts

Location (City and/or State)
Kingston, ontario
I bought a Russian tort a few days ago. The tort is a bit more then 2 weeks old. I have been having humidity problems in my enclosure and I am wondering how to fix them. My enclosure is a 15 gallon tank. My humidity levels are about 30 in the morning, hover around 40 in the afternoon and jump to 70 at night. I think it is because of my spahgnum moss but I am not sure. I have around a hand full of moss spread out around my enclosure. The moss is damp but not dripping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I bought a Russian tort a few days ago. The tort is a bit more then 2 weeks old. I have been having humidity problems in my enclosure and I am wondering how to fix them. My enclosure is a 15 gallon tank. My humidity levels are about 30 in the morning, hover around 40 in the afternoon and jump to 70 at night. I think it is because of my spahgnum moss but I am not sure. I have around a hand full of moss spread out around my enclosure. The moss is damp but not dripping.
You need to get rid of the moss. They eat it and it can cause impaction.

15 gallons is way too small. Minimum 40 for a hatching. You need the space to make temperature gradients, and still have room to walk after a couple of hides, food and water bowls, and decor.

You hold in humidity, and heat too, by covering the top. Closed chambers work best.

Its normal for humidity to rise at night when the air cools.

Here is the care info you need: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/