Humidity needs for Red Foot

LMiesse

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My family and I are on the go constantly, and with our son in travel sports, we will be out of town on the weekends quite a bit. From the research I have done for our tort, it said red footed tortoises needed at least 80% humidity or close to it. So we have had a fogger in our enclosure since March. Because we will be so on the go, I was thinking of rehoming her so she would have the constant care she needed and I didn't think she would do well with out the moisture for a couple days. The rescue that would rehome her for me said she didn't need a fogger etc that she would be fine as long as there was water and extra food. Since all of you have had your torts for awhile, what is your opinion on this subject. We have only had ours since February. Thank you

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
you could potentially get a misting system that is programmed to mist every few hours. I had one for a while and it was great.

LMiesse

Ohio
you could potentially get a misting system that is programmed to mist every few hours. I had one for a while and it was great.
I actually have one already, I just haven't used it in awhile because the fogger was good enough. I thought about that. Thank you.

LMiesse

Ohio
I just don't understand why a rescue would say my tort would be fine with out a fogger or mister. That makes me apprehensive to even give her to this rescue if I was going to rehome you know?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I just don't understand why a rescue would say my tort would be fine with out a fogger or mister. That makes me apprehensive to even give her to this rescue if I was going to rehome you know?
yeah maybe they aren't particularly knowledgeable with reptiles or tortoises in general, which is pretty common unless it's a tortoise/reptile specific rescue.

The younger the tort is the more important it is to maintain humidity too for the new growth

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
My family and I are on the go constantly, and with our son in travel sports, we will be out of town on the weekends quite a bit. From the research I have done for our tort, it said red footed tortoises needed at least 80% humidity or close to it. So we have had a fogger in our enclosure since March. Because we will be so on the go, I was thinking of rehoming her so she would have the constant care she needed and I didn't think she would do well with out the moisture for a couple days. The rescue that would rehome her for me said she didn't need a fogger etc that she would be fine as long as there was water and extra food. Since all of you have had your torts for awhile, what is your opinion on this subject. We have only had ours since February. Thank you
The person you want to talk to is @ZEROPILOT . Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The solution is a large closed chamber that will hold in humidity. Foggers should not be used in tortoise enclosures and they don't work in open topped enclosures anyway.

LMiesse

Ohio
The solution is a large closed chamber that will hold in humidity. Foggers should not be used in tortoise enclosures and they don't work in open topped enclosures anyway.
Thank you! You are right, I don't get a as high of humidity as I would like or she needs. I am going to make the room she is in more humid and see if that pans out better. Thank you so much for your help and input.

Reactions: Tom

LMiesse

Ohio
yeah maybe they aren't particularly knowledgeable with reptiles or tortoises in general, which is pretty common unless it's a tortoise/reptile specific rescue.

The younger the tort is the more important it is to maintain humidity too for the new growth
Yeah it is a reptile rescue, but like you said they may not be as knowledgeable about red footed torts. Yes she is a juvenile maybe about a year old. She seems to be doing well, and growing as well..